Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT-Opinions on a Few Cars (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37081-ot-opinions-few-cars.html)

Sonicdriver 11-17-2002 04:17 PM

Tom,
Just an FYI- Whenever a manufacturer invests in a new platform such as cadlac did with the CTS, it costs about $1 Billion in startup fees. That's why manufacturers have so many crossover vehicles.

27mmLoto 11-17-2002 04:34 PM

I looked hard at the CTS but ended up with a Lincoln LS V-8 sport model. The CTS is allright from a standing start but the LS V-8 was considerably faster from the rolling punch, both seemed to handle the roads I drive on equally well. Got it in March and no regrets so far.
I am definitely predjudiced towards the American nameplates so I didn't even look at the foriegn cars. I always thought I would get a Mercedes when I could afford it but now that I am there I prefer to support our manufacturers as long as they build equipment that I like. I may have to trade my V-Max for a V-Rod if they can coax a few more ponies from it but I can't see Harley building anything to take the place of my DRZ400.

HyperBaja 11-17-2002 05:34 PM

Seems BMWs are liked across the nation, my friend flipped one 2 weeks ago. He was doing 120 in pouring rain, hit a big puddle, lost it and ended up in the ditch with it completley totaled!!!

Kids a idiot.

I like the new caddy CTS too.

Sunsation 32 11-17-2002 06:48 PM

Buy a one or two year old 540. Automatic or 6 speed. They are both awesome. My dad has a 93 325 with 100k, no problems to date, he also has a 540 with 35kmiles and no problems on it. He bought the 540 last year and he still loves his 325 so he decided not to sell it.

BigMike 11-20-2002 06:33 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Ended up going out monday and tuesday nights and driving all of the cars one more time (except the Benz which I was told would not be available until April!). I decided to buy the Lexus. It was not as fast or as nimble as the BMW 330Ci (525i was a slug) but I think you get alot more car for your money and the Lexus is probably one of the most reliable cars on the road today. Consumer Reports and JD Powers both rank Lexus #1 in their class. Plus I can't say enough about the ride. The car is almost silent at 80 MPH. The only thing I hear is a little tire noise. Stereo kicks ass also. The stock Lexus stereo BLEW away the optional Harman Kardan unit in the Beemers.

I do not know if I made a good decision on the service plan though. Lexus includes all scheduled maintenance for 48,000 miles for an extra $15 per month. Considering the cost of services and the cost of the car, I figured what the Fu&#. BMW includes 15,000 mile oil changes in its base price and charges nothing extra. I prefer to change the oil more often so I figured $15/month was not too bad. Plus you get Lexus loaner cars, free car washes, and some other junk just for buying. Lease rates were also better on the Lexus. 55% residual, 3% money factor, 350 security deposit, and no disposition fee.

Went with silver on light charcoal. Got the leather package, memory package, alloy wheels, rear deck spoiler, wheel locks, trunk mat, and cargo net as extras. Everything else I could imagine was standard (except rain sensing wipers). Overall I am very pleased with the package and would recommend Lexus for anybody looking for a solid, reliable, luxury car. If you are looking for a sports car, buy a Porsche.

Mike