Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sick of cold weather.  Relocating to Florida.  Suggestions?  Jobs?  Advice? >

Sick of cold weather. Relocating to Florida. Suggestions? Jobs? Advice?

Notices

Sick of cold weather. Relocating to Florida. Suggestions? Jobs? Advice?

Old 11-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sick of cold weather. Relocating to Florida. Suggestions? Jobs? Advice?

Yep, my wife and I have had enough of this depressing weather and have decided to relocate to Florida. We hate any weather below 65* and love to boat, (obviously). Originally we planned to go to So-Cal, AZ, NV, or Florida. After researching cost of living, distance from family, etc, etc, we decided on Florida.

Both of us have sent resumes out to several different companies and really haven't heard much back.

Any ideas? I posted mine on Monster.com and my wife's will go up tonight.

I am very experienced in all facets of telecom, currently an outside plant engineer with SBC/Ameritech. I have been there nearly eight years. I have done it all for the phone company, from setting poles and hanging cable, splicing cable, repairing lines, to designing all of the stuff I once worked on.
I don't have to stay in this field either. I would entertain just about any offer to get to live in Florida.
I think any form of sales is my next move. Much more fast paced and rewarding.

My wife is a territory sales manager for Philip Morris USA. She would like to get into pharmacuetical(sp?) sales, or anything related to motorsports marketing.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help on our eternal quest for sunshine and palm trees
Old 11-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on your decision!!!

That was the easy part, I'm sure. Doing it, is the tough part.
Best of luck in your job search! If you're into telecom, Tampa area is worth a look. I know there's a lot of that in the area.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Registered

Yeah, I have some advise, Take me with you

Anyway I feel your pain Brian, I hate cold weather also.
I am heading down to Miami for the month of December, who knows, I may not come back
Old 11-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Baja Daze-
I have applied for 11 different jobs with three different telecom companies in the state of Florida today. Ranging from Miami, Naples, Ft.Myers, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, to Tallahassee.

That was just today!

Thrillseeker-
Just do it. You are never going to be younger than you are right now.
I am 27 and my wife is 26. Wishing and talking about it won't get you anywhere. What's the worst that could happen? You go down there and hate it? Chalk it up to a learning experience and move somewhere else.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Registered

Buy a bigger boat, you'll need one down there, cause I just know you'll be out in the ocean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

wow, this is for real, next year whose gona post up the dates for the shootout?

Tax advice, Take me with you, dont you get some sort of deduction? LOL

It will be easier to fly down, im sure you dont want to get rid of that nice skater of yours, keep it here with me, ill run it every so often out on alum

Good luck to you both.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:54 PM
ShipWrecked

Florida is a REALLY nice place to live. But beware, it's not as easy as one may think. Florida employers are a different breed and DO NOT pay well. You must own your own business or grow into one to do well.

Maybe this will help with figuring out certain things
relocation info

Old 11-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

Brian, If it were not for my business being non relocatable. I would already be living there

On another note, part of my upcoming trip down there will involve scouting for a location to start another one
The only prob is that asphalt season down there is all year, but it will not matter because I would be able to boat year round
Old 11-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Registered

Shipwrecked,
Thanks for the link!
It looks like I can afford to make less in Florida than I currently make in Ohio to maintain my current lifestyle. Housing is considerably cheaper, groceries are cheaper, no income tax, etc, etc.

I did notice when looking at jobs down there, that the pay isn't as good as it is here.

I'll do whatever I have to do to reach this goal.

My current job added more fuel to my fire. I found out that I will more than likely be included in the 11000 job cuts

Time to get this ball rolling!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Registered

FlyinBrian, sorry but I just filled an entry level sales position in Ft Myers. We sell electric utility products and some data/fiber equipment. I do have positions open up, send me a PM email and include a resume. Pay in some jobs will be lower in Florida. Sales with the right company can easily be a six figure job though. I have a couple account reps working for me in that range in the Florida territory.
I lived in Ft Myers for 8 years and loved it. You NEVER have to winterize and the Gulf waters are great. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Sick of cold weather. Relocating to Florida. Suggestions? Jobs? Advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.