If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore

Do you remember when.....

The World Championship races in Key West used to race three times in one week rather than twice like we have now.

I think the last time was in 1987. Nothing was better than seeing Popeyes bringing the four engine superboat and a three engine V hull for Al Jr to drive. And Gentry had the same. Tom in the CAT and Don Johnson in the V. It was amazing to see 21 engines in each tent as all seven engines and drives got changed for each race.

Big Al really brought the show to town back then and guys like Tom Gentry did the same in a classier way. Not as much splash.

I Guess it became just too expensive to race three times in one week but I'll tell ya, vacations were never as exciting. They raced on Tues, Thurs and Sat if my memory is correct.

Anyone else remember those days? The last time I was in Key West was 1995 for the joint sactioned race between, APBA, SBI and US Offshore which brought about 125 boats from around the world. Yes it can and did happen. For simplicity sake, we ran under SBI rules.

My Boats:
    1997 Fountain 35 Lightning
    beaumont tx
    sounds like the good old days there!

Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore
    Joe Mach was always one of my favorites in Dirty Laundry. For a huge fat guy, he could really race.

His racing days ended when he flipped over.. and got out safely but that usually takes the fun out of it enough for most guys to leave the sport.