If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My Boats:
    1999 Spectre 36
    Fells Point MD
    Who has a good one that I can get with my perscription that's also polarized

My Boats:
    37 Active Thunder
    medford, nj usa
    I have a pair of Oakley racing jacket sunglasses that I had my RX made into the lenses and they have been great. I have used them at 90 mph without any wind getting into my eyes. They are not the best looking glasses but they are OK and serve a great purpose, to see and keep the wind out of my eyes.

Charter Member Charter Member 32fever's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37 Outerlimits & PowerPlay 185
    Granger, IN
    Originally posted by Too Old
    Guard Dogs

Purpose built eyewear.
    What, do you shoot yourself in the face with an air compressor hose?

You're never out IN THE WATER in a boat!!!!!!

Just jokin!

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    I use the hingless Oakleys and have been very satisfied. My wife has perscription glasses and I ordered a set of guard dogs that fit over them. She's not real fond of the appearances, but reports that they work great.

Charter Member #9/ Moderator Charter Member LakeRacer's Avatar
    My Boats:
    99 Advantage 34 Offshore
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

Thumbs up

I'm always losing my sunglasses so no Oakleys for me. The best pair of sunglasses I have ever bought are safety glasses. They are wrap around and cost me $4.00 a pair. For what I would spend on Oakleys, I have lots of replacements and everyone onboard has sunglasses if they forget theirs.

My Boats:
    94 31 Scarab Thunder
    Lake St. Clair

Great thread.........I wear contacts, and it's really tricky to get glasses that don't annoy your eyes when driving. Anyways, I've owned a couple of pairs of oakleys, and they were alright. But the last couple of years, I just started buyin cheap glasses..........guess what, noone sits on them takes them, or you never lose them - lol.

Anyways, the best glasses I've liked (at least for me) were bought for $10 at meijers (went back and bout 2 extra pairs for that price). They were Ironmans, or something like that. They looked good, were waraparounds, and very durable. They weren't too big either.......something you don't have to change when you go into a resturant, etc.

Just my opinion, but I liked them because they got along good with me & my contact lenses.

The gaurd dogs look cool though.

My Boats:
    Pantera 24
    Huntersville, NC
    yeah -- that is the reason i need them

i have kerataconus -- which means my eye's are really screwed up.

I wear two pair of contacts -- a soft then a hard lens over it. So with the wind my eye's get VERY dry -- and my contacts pop out easily.

for all my other outdoor sports i just wear goggles (snowboarding, atving, motorcycling) -- but for boating i wanted to look semi cool

the guard dogs look like they should fit the bill nicely -- we'll see this weekend.

if you go to the shopping malls. they have those little carts or displays in the center. ( at least in the ones i frequent) i found a vender that had knock-off everything. for less than ten bucks a pr. and i loose them or break them. and refuse to pay high dollars. this guy has elastic head band goggles in many different collors and lenses for ten bucks. great little goggles for high speed. no watering eyes. if you break them or loose them , no big deal....

Solomons Island, Md
    Guard dogs work great but they have two downsides and one upside.

Downside 1 - They have plastic lenses which haze over in a couple days time so you need to keep cleaning the haze off.

Downside 2 - They are not suitable to wear as normal sunglasses while onshore.

Upside 1 - They only cost about $25.00 vs. the $100-$200 for some of the highend sunglasses mentioned in this thread. So, Guard dogs might be the way to go if you want to get 4 or 5 sets for your entire crew.

My Boats:
    '70 Donzi 18
    Texas City, TX
    Costa Del Mar Havana's in black chrome

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast