Could use some advice????? >

Could use some advice?????

Notices

Could use some advice?????

Old 05-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could use some advice?????

Looking at 2 boats, NOT OFFSHORES, but performance minded cuddy's to use in Lake Erie and around southern Ontario. For wife and myself, and to introduce my 3 yr old son into boating. Now I have been around a lot of boats and plenty of offshores, I have owned 4 boats in the past, but when I was single and didn't have to answer to my wife are her input, both personal and $$$ wise.

BOTH both have mercuiser 7.4's with Bravo 1's

Boat #1 is a 1988 Slickcraft 268SC. Has recent survey, Excellent survey, don't know hrs. NO trailer, but has Bimini and full camper tops. Fresh water boat all it's life. Not sure why it's for sale.
Boat #2 is a 1997 Rinker 232 Captiva. No survey but has trailer. Moring cover and Bimini. Looks nice but was a salt water boat for a bit of it's life. Current own had it 3 yrs and health issues is reason for sale.

I'm likening the Slickcraft as it's a bit longer by 3 ft, wider about 8 inches and about 600 lbs heavier. Slickcraft at this time is a Tiara product and know for quality. It also has a couple more options. Rinker seems nice and respectable quality, but not up to the Slickcraft. Seller claims motor was rebuilt 40 hrs before he bought it.

Now asking prices, the 1997 Rinker is $3,500 more, but newer with trailer. MUST have a trailer. So with a nice used trailer there about the same $$$. Looking for about 4 yrs of use before moving up to bigger boat.

Any input is welcomed.

Thank you, John
Old 05-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

First thing I would do is make sure you can get insurance on the Sleekcraft being its a 1988. You should be able to find a used trailer for 3-4k for it
Old 05-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen trailers for $4k and up. New bunk is only $4,999. Got a quote on insurance at $440/yr for the Slickcraft.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

The first Slickcraft I ever went on was way back in the late 60's and for it's time was a good boat. Tiara and Pursuit also very decent although they seem to have gotten caught up in the influence of company accountants more recently .
If the Slickcraft got and passed a survey it ought to be a serious contender.
Note , if there's any coring in the construction of the Slickcraft like there is/was in the Tiaras and Pursuits hopefully it checks out ok as it's not uncommon for even 'quality builders' to take shortcuts and not seal around through hulls ,etc properly.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

I like the slickcraft's, they seem to hold up well and roomy. However, I'd opt for the newest boat you can afford and is in good shape even if it's a smaller boat. Old boat's require work even if in good condition and built well. Do you want to work on your boat or go boating? If the latter - find something newer.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 244 Likes on 131 Posts

From my owning a 1993 Rinker Captiva years ago...
Look it over and check out how its built.
Mine was paper thin cheaply constructed boat.
Not exaggerating, I could see shadows of people walking down marina docks from INSIDE the cuddy.
That was thru the bow and interior headliner.
I used it for what it was, and it did serve me OK and took me places, BUT....
It was not a solid boat that would take any beating or rough water.
Just check out the bilge and gunnels to see how that chopper gun sprayed fiber around.
HATED working on it at all because I would always end up looking like feral cats attacked my forearms.
Good luck and happy shopping
Old 05-14-2021, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Owned a Slickcraft bitd. Would never own a Rinker.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

My first boat was a 1977 slickcraft. My Father in law restores a lot of the older ones that were still made in Holland, MI. Sometime in the late 70s/early 80s they were moved from being built in Holland MI, to Florida. I dont think the later model slick crafts had the quality like the old ones built in Holland.