Notices

OT: Winter Tires?

Old 11-18-2002, 06:41 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Winter Tires?

I bought a 2nd set of rims for my wife's Grand Prix and I am looking for a really good set of winter tires. If I do this right, I won't have to buy her a Pathfinder, so please help! I read an article in consumer reports on winter tires and I'm considering the following:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50

Dunlop Winter Sport M2

Dunlop Graspic DS-1

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice

I'm looking for something good in the snow and ice. Does anybody have an opinion on these tires or other suggestions?

Next question, who can get me a good deal on a set of (4)? I need 225 60 R16's
Old 11-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Brian! Buy the Blizzak, you'll thank me. I have them on both cars. I've had the Goodyears you listed, not as good. Call me tomorrow, I will get you a price for them. www.tirerack.com has them cheap, until you add up the shipping. 195/60R15's cost $75+$15 in shipping. I paid $90 at work.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:50 PM
bn
Registered

Thanks Chris, I'll call you tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, I've never used them, but I believe that the blizzacks are the absolute best out there. The micro cells are only half of the tread depth though, so after that they'll only behave like a regular radial. Realize that these tires are truly winter only, they'll burn up rapidly in the summer. If she absolutly has to go out in the ice and snow, consider some cable chains. You tension them with a bungie cord and they stay on at resonable speeds. You don't want to drive them on dry pavement though as it will chew the cables up. The traction improovements are absolutly phenominal.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just bought Blizzaks for the car. Haven't used them in the snow (yet), but was advised to go with the LM-22 over the WS-50. If you call the tire rack, they are helpful.

One of the tire rack owners (76 years old) was out in the install area helping out when I went to pick up my summer "dubs". That's always nice to see. It's not the best route if you have to put them on your wheels, but if you're buying them mounted on wheels, it's not a bad way to go.

If anything, check out their site and read the reviews. That is free info and worth the time to read. Jsut have to filter through the BS stuff from guys just screwing around.

Mark
Old 11-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or you all could just move to FLORIDA where is never snows(or VERY VERY VERY VERY seldom)... Then you could save all that money for gas and other cool toys. hehehe
Old 11-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 403 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Snow Tyres

Buy the Blizzaks. Im coming up on my 5th year with the same set and they are great!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:30 AM
bn
Registered

ChrisK - I tried moving to FL once already, but I wasn't married at the time. That definitely would be the best choice!

Now, back to being realistic, who has the best deal on Blizzaks? I will check tirerack.com.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:03 AM
CRUBOSS

I VOTE FOR FLORIDA

Old 11-19-2002, 08:11 AM
Registered

The BLIZZAKS are great tires. I would however, reccommend that you look at the NOKIAN HAKKAPLITA. Good luck.

Shane

Quick Reply: OT: Winter Tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.