Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What to do in Nuremburg, Bavaria? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37198-what-do-nuremburg-bavaria.html)

Wildfire 11-18-2002 06:53 PM

What to do in Nuremburg, Bavaria?

Who's been to northern Bavaria around Nuremburg? And what are some "don't miss" destinations?

We will have saturday and sunday to look around. Hurry, we leave tomorrow afternoon.

Ron P 11-18-2002 08:43 PM

THE BMW FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horseplay 11-18-2002 09:09 PM

The city on Nurenburg was rebuilt after the war. The old town within the walls is fun to walk aroung. There is a castle there. The the Rauch (smoked beer) there. Another local beer is (was) the Alt Copfur (Old Copper) though my spelling is definitely wrong. The Palace of Justice where they held the war crime trials is outside of the walled city on a main throughfare, unfortunately I don't remember which.

Nurenburg is northern Bavaria. Munich, 100 miles south, is home to the BMW museum and headquarters, and more importantly, the Hofbrau Haus. You may note a preoccupation with beer, but the beer halls and gasthaus are important social areas.

If you're driving, an hour or so away is Bayreuth, home to Richard Wagner. If you're going to stay put, just get a walking guide from your hotel, or the Michelin Green guide, and take a stroll.

Most people you meet will speak English. The US army had a large presence here until a few years ago.

Blade38 11-19-2002 08:18 AM

There plenty to do in Nurenburg. The hotels have quite a bit of info. Folks are friendly. The is a drive I wish I had done. twisty and high speed. Rent a BMW 330 type with all wheel drive. You'll need it. The night life is great.

Pete B 11-19-2002 10:24 AM

go to munich and drink some beer at the hofbrauhaus!

rick32 11-19-2002 12:44 PM

Stand Trial ?????

Rick32:rolleyes:

Wildfire 11-19-2002 02:06 PM

Thanks for the tips.

We are actually staying in Bayreuth, so looking for Wagner might be fun one evening. Saturday and Sunday, my boss wants to see castles. Sounds like Nuremburg will be the hot ticket for that. History is something we don't have a lot of here in Arkansas.

29 OUTLAW 11-19-2002 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Wildfire
Thanks for the tips.

We are actually staying in Bayreuth, so looking for Wagner might be fun one evening. Saturday and Sunday, my boss wants to see castles. Sounds like Nuremburg will be the hot ticket for that. History is something we don't have a lot of here in Arkansas.

If you need to see castles, then you should go see King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle. It's the Mother Of All Castles. It's about 120 miles away but with no speed limits, 120 miles goes by real fast.

CRUBOSS 11-19-2002 04:09 PM

drink beer

excalibur32 11-19-2002 04:54 PM

If it´s Nürnburg u are going to,I would recomend that you take that rental car for a spinn around Nürnburg-ring.It´s an old racetrack nowdays open for the public ,for a small fee/lap.I think it´s approx. 20km long,and if you do it under 6min you are fast!
By the way, nowdays they have speed limits on many parts of Autobahn..