Notices

OT-Opinions on a Few Cars

Old 11-16-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-Opinions on a Few Cars

I am in the process of purchasing a new car and can't make up my mind what to buy. I have narrowed my choices to the following (all are 2003's):

BMW 330Ci
BMW 525i
Lexus GS 300
Mercedes CLK320

All seem to be very nice cars. I have also looked at the new Infiniti G35 and didn't feel it was as "nice" as the other options (it's $10,000 less money which is probably a good reason).

All of my choices have list prices in the low 40's with the exception of the Benz which is in the high 40's.
Any input on the above choices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 11-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Tom
Registered

Default Cadillac CTS

Cadillac spent a billion dollars, three years at Nurburgring race track, and built the most advanced new factory on the planet to produce a car that competes with 5 series BMW. I saw it side by side with BMW, Lexus, Infinity, and Benz and it smokes them all in many ways. The magazines rave about the CTS. I think you should at least drive one and see what I mean. I also heard that they are coming out with a new XLR in the spring that is truly amazing. No longer an old peoples car company.

Tom
Old 11-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

BM
Not sure what you are looking for. You list 2 4-doors and 2 2-doors.

BMW's are great, and offer wonderful vehicle dynamics but make sure you dump it before the warranty runs out (knobs and trim pieces fall off, seat leather cracks, shifters fall off - just some of my experiences with BMW's I have purchased new and kept a few years). Mechanically they are great, service is hideously overpriced but current cars offer free scheduled services thru around 50k miles.

Lexus cars are bulletproof (except for the V6 cars, which have a notable oiling system design problem and can bite your butt clean off at tradein time cause all the dealers know exactly what to look for and will refuse a tradein with evidence of oiling troubles
). Lexus however, does isolate the driver from the driving experience a bit too much for my tastes (the IS300 is an exception). GS300 is a great car. Just kind of vanilla.

Benz is in my opinion topnotch from an assembly and engineering standpoint (from the cars you listed). I have owned many and have loved them all. I do all of my own "out of warranty" work and there is nothing on the planet as satisfying to work on than a benz. The CLK 320 is a bit narrow for my tastes and is less roomy than all but the 330Ci from your list. It is a good looking machine (with AMG wheels) and is quite adequately powered. The benz V6 is smoother and torquier than the inline 6 it replaced (which surprised me).

Drove a CTS and liked it. Felt great. Not into the styling myself...

The 5-series BMW may be my lean from your list, but I'm not you. I would also MUCH prefer a 2yr old 540i than the new 525, but then again, I'm not you.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mcollistn

I have a 328I conv, 1997, I have had allot of things go wrong, little stuff, like emblems falling off and onboard computer alwas messing up, oh yea and those wonderful O2 sensors.

My pick of the ones given would be the Lexus. However you should look at the new Cadillac also, I am 26 and thinking of getting one, its the conv in their new GM comercials.

My 2 cents
Old 11-16-2002, 10:20 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Get a BMW 540 with a 6 speed stick. WOW!!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

i would choose :330ci from your list.
mercedes:very ordinary interior (same for last 30 yrs )
bmw525:3 series look sporty
lexus:not nice as 330ci
Old 11-16-2002, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Buy a BMW if you like any kind of performance. The other cars are all great but BMW has the best overall driving feel in either the 3 or 5 series. Check out all the road tests--the BMW always wins. Yeah they are expensive to maintain but they all come with free maintenance for 3/36K . If you keep it longer than 4/50K buy an extended warranty. Another suggestion is to buy a two year used BMW that has been certified. It comes with a 100k warranty and by doing so the first owner took the hit on depreciation. There are alot of cars coming off 2 yr leases so picking should be good. If you can swing a 540 it is awesome compared to a 525/528.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Registered

Default My 2 cents

I would have to say my favorite car for luxury is any upper series mercedes, best sports car feel would be the bimmer, the lexus was ok but it all depends on what you are looking for.

For the cars you have listed, I would say the 5 series bmw because it is a four door(easy acces to the back),yet a great riding sports car. I use to really get on it and it would ask for more.

For the caddy everyone is talking about, I never buy a car the first year they are introduced, they always have little stupid recalls and thats always a pain in the a$$.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:45 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i had an M coupe for 3 year and i beat the **** out of that car I LOVED IT!!!! Its a sport car and i drove it like it ws meant to be driven. It was leased and it went back recently

NO major problems. Very few minor problem. It was fast as hell and handeled incredibley. Prior to the M i had a old 750. It had problems but nothing that woudlbe out of lien considering it had 100k miles on it.

I put my vote in for either bimmer. 3 series are nice 5 series is too. If you need eth extra space get eth 5. If you want a quick and nimble car get the 3.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:18 PM
JIM H
Charter Member

i have a 2001 325ci,love the car

i also was looking at the clk320 but i thought the bmw was a better driving car

jim h

Quick Reply: OT-Opinions on a Few Cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.