DYNO DAY Saturday, PART II , the saga continues

Notices

DYNO DAY Saturday, PART II , the saga continues

Old 11-21-2002, 09:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Sling,
As far a a re-rig on the McMannus, you should try Marine Performance in Port Orange Fl., (386-760-6464)
Just ask Tonto or KE about the crew @ Marine Performance?
Good luck on you rebuild/re-rig!
MD
Old 11-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

isnt that the guy who does callan boats?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

EXACTLY,
John Pompi is the master rigger, who worked with Don Aronow @ cig. and he has done alot work with Apaches/ McMannus's.
Check them out.

http://www.marineperformance.com/

MD
Old 11-21-2002, 09:51 AM
Allan4

Man, wish I could be there!! Hey J, just be sure to bring the num chucks, batons and brass knuckles......

Good luck, either way atlest you will make a big step here. KAAMA, you are absolutely correct, many reasons to dyno a motor, not just to get numbers. Plus running at 45,50 or even 5500 for a sustained period is a good measuring tool to see if the motor is going to hold up. As we say, better to break on the dyno than in the boat!! Goos luck J, you will enjoy the dyno thing, lots of fun. LAter.

Old 11-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking forward to it, should be a good day and Ill be able to get some answers that Im looking for.
Hey Ike, you in bro?
You going to come out there with me?
Dont worry if your duramax breaks down Ill tow you home LOL
Jason

(if you dont know, Ike is considerably larger than me so I better be careful lol)
Old 11-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by 26scarab
Kaama,
Maybe I interpreted what you wrong but a sustained pull at high rpm doesn't sound like the right way to dyno a motor... it sounds like the right way to make a motor appear that it is making more power than it really is. Now I'm no dyno expert but I've been around dyno's and have dynoed a few motors, boat and snowmobile. And the way they have always been done is first the motors (boat) are run at like a cruising rpm with a slight load on them to break things in and build some heat. Then the sweep test is done. Motor is brought to a certain rpm then the dyno takes over and runs the motor up to a predetermined rpm as the load is put on it. Some people will take the motor up to a higher rpm then add the load which gives a false reading.
I apologize if I'm incorrect or this doesn't make sense.
26Scarab/Chuck, no problem bro. Of course he should break it in under a light load first----that's just par for the course. Then do some sweeps to get some HP/TQ numbers. I'm just talking about once that is done to do some good hard sustained high rpm pulls on it to see if she is gonna hold together---not so much for HP/TQ readings, but again, rather to see if the engines are going to hold and look for vital signs as much as possible. I'm quite sure his dyno man knows what to do and whatever Jay is satisfied with. I just thought that after the engines are "broken in" and the oil is changed and the filter is cut open and inspected that he could do some final hard sustained pulls. I have dyno'd my engines on a few occasions as well. Man, I hope I am talking with some sense here Chuck. If I am still talking with ignorance and embarrassing myself by digging myself in a hole here then perhaps you or someone had better rescue me by PMing me or something before I become a martyr LOL!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:36 AM
Registered

Sorry Mark,
I think I just misunderstood you. I know when I was dynoing my first 502 I was sweating bullets!
You just don't think about the little things when your hammer down in the boat passing someone. But when its on that stand at 5800 (for a matter of seconds) and you can just hear that load on it, I started thinking if I had remembered to torque everything ...etc. I was happy when it was over !
Old 11-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

well in my eyes, she dies, she dies
im beyond the point of giving a rats ass on this.
either it is going to run or it is not, if it locks up oh well not my problem
maybe that makes it better or worse im not sure.
but Ill have an answer one way or the other.
hell he spun it on a drill and said it was fine. Yeah sure, wanna buy an ice berg too moron?
Ill sell it to ya cheap and sell ya an ice pick too,

Jason
Old 11-21-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Not a problem Chuck! I know that you meant well by it. I just need to learn how to type in English a little better so that people can understand what the heck I'm trying to say!

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-21-2002 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Registered

Man Jay, I hope it works out for ya. At least you have a new truck to think about. I am close to getting my 03 Excursion, just need to sell my Suburban. Man the used car market sucks out there. I would really think hard about bringing it back to the jerk off builder. If it was me and the motor blew chuncks I would document the hell out of it and sue him instead. There is way too much bad blood now and he will not be happy so his work will surely suffer. Not to mention the fact he is an moron transplant who will just continue to screw up. I think you should post his number so we can all take turns blasting him. Anyway why throw good money at a bad engine builder. Even if he agrees to rebuild it he may screw it up just to piss you off. The next step will be for him to go out of business so you are left with nothing. One other thing, do you really think he would do this work in a timely manner? Now he has no reason to rush since he will be doing it for free. I would just run.