Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Knights Channel at 7 mile bridge OUCH!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37342-knights-channel-7-mile-bridge-ouch.html)

Ron P 11-21-2002 12:29 PM

I'd like to see how they spend the 30K to fix the damage to the reef. Oh it can't be fixed you say? The who gets the 30K. It will probably go to the Manatee folks.

Jeff 11-21-2002 12:33 PM

I've seen a couple stuck there. Last year we were down there and one of the Backstreet Boys we were told later were stuck like chuck too. They were in a big ass Sea Ray. The Keys are tricky as **** to be cruising around and not be familiar with the waters. Be careful , get a plotter or at least an updated chart. Hey we Fl. boys) have all ran aground in the Keys, **** happens.:(

cigarette1 11-21-2002 12:37 PM

That is probably why all the Florida boats come with spare props on prop holders.

G

BAD HTM SR 24 11-21-2002 12:37 PM

DNR told my buddy that Nick Carter (BACKSTREET BOY) put a big ass boat in the same place last year.

dockrocker 11-21-2002 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bad,

Hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way, I wasn't trying to trash your buddy. That sucks big time, and I'd bet my left nut that Ron P is right on the money, the enviro-whackos will get it.

Just remind your bud, it could be worse:

dockrocker 11-21-2002 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another angle...

BAD HTM SR 24 11-21-2002 12:48 PM

I f they ever get afloat again my buddy is going to get to a computer and send me a bunch of digital pics and video he took.Should be interesting

CigDaze 11-21-2002 01:08 PM

You guys are right. The enviros go nuts about sea grass and reefs.

I understand the sea grass grounding fines cost more than the reef fines do. It's absurd.

He should consider himself lucky if they're only talking about $30,000.

A boat-U.S. article I read not too long ago mentioned that the average grounding in FL of boats 26' and over costs the owner an average of $150,000.

Meanwhile, the overpopulated manatee population is totally destroying the sea grass beds at unprecidented rates, killing off other valuable fish stocks. :rolleyes:

Advantage_Rob 11-21-2002 02:52 PM

RonP That's the exact same thing I was going to say minus the where it goes part. I dont really think they can do anything about the damage to the reef. I'll bet better markings would stop alot of the groundings. Around here there are a few sandars that You see boats stuck on all the time. To me the if the insurance companies would invest a small amount of $$ to mark the sandbars, they would save a whole lot of $$ in damages to boats, and paying outrageous tow boat bills, let alone injurys to people, and emergency calls that could be avoided. It's kind of ass backwards thinking if you ask me. An ounce of prevention...

Bayley 11-21-2002 03:06 PM

Couldn't agree more with Rob (how long has that sandbar been at the south end of the middle channel?)

The saddest thing is, when a stranded boater calls a salvage company about a grounding and gives a general area... 99% of the time, the salvage boats knows exactly where to go. Go figure.

:rolleyes: