Notices

Way OT: pest control

Old 11-22-2002, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way OT: pest control

Lately I've been finding these millipede things in my basement, My two or three every couple of days. Once in a while one will make it upstairs. These things really creep me out.. I'm assuming they come out of my sump pump. They have a ton of legs and are very fast. The largest one I've seen has been close to 2 inches long. These things bother me worse than spiders !
I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen these and what they do about them ?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:14 AM
jr

Chuck, I got them too. I haven't seen one for awhile, but my best guess is that they are behind the drywall in my basement. I pulled down the old paneling that was there, and one would come running out every now and then. I know what you mean about them being fast. Are yours gray or light brown.

Try putting some ant poison around your baseboards, and in the basement up around the floor joists and floor too if you have a finished basement. I don't know what they eat but maybe if they track through this stuff if might kill them.

Your right about the freak out factor. I'll be laying on the couch watching the boob tube and one of those things will come trucking across the carpet, see me move and he splits back for the wall. He has about 2 steps to live before he gets smashed.

Old 11-22-2002, 06:28 AM
Registered

I've seen both colors.
I know what you mean by just chilling and seeing one cruising by !

I hate those effers !
Old 11-22-2002, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im not sure if we have the same thing here in FL.. But I believe they are called silverfish... ugly lil things... Not sure what kills em either...
Old 11-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Ranman

In my house, we call 'em the "big fuzzy bugs". Long, hairy and fast. I seem to get a couple hanging out on the walls here and there, mostly in the springtime. I had a minor ant problem so I layed down a nice bead of boric acid around the preimeter of my house. You can use boric acid inside too, but it will kill your pets as well as the pests. Anyway, since I used the boric acid, the ants are gone and I haven't seen any of the big fuzzy bugs either. Good luck and post anything you come up with as a solution.

Old 11-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Registered

none at my place but the girlfriends house has them in her basement. every once and a while youll see one run by,her cats chase them around, pretty funny.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

By your description it sounds like the "House Centipede". They are a grayish/light brown, lots of legs, very fuzzy looking and they are extemely FAST! Usually, they will be found in basements or in areas where there is a certain amount of moisture content and dark areas, cracks/crevices.

Actually, Boric Acid is a low toxicity product and has a very low repellency, almost odorless, high residual and slow kill rate which is good and very effective. The reason for this is because those little gooners go tracking through it without realizing what they just did. Also, Boric acid doesn't break down from moisture----it will usually last for several months. Problems is most people put down way too much for what is actually needed. Light applications is are only what in needed---a "light dusting" if you will.

Or if you get a can of Raid be sure to READ THE LABEL and it will usually list what pests it is effective against. Also, you'll want something with some RESIDUAL benefits that will probably work well. Raid is usually a petroleum based pesticide and therefore can be very repellent to some insects, has some odor to it, and depending on where it is applied will last for maybe a couple of weeks or so. Sometimes though, a pesticide that is repellent to insects can have a benefit as well. Read the directions and apply it to areas where you have seen activity and reapply maybe a week or two later. Thing is there may be a condition that is causing these insects to thrive/survive, therefore additional treatments may be required.

Like I tell my customers: "There's always going to be bugs and they don't wait for either one of us---they just help themselves"
Old 11-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Registered

I will try the boric acid thing, where do I get it?

Mark,
If they like moisture I'm sure they are coming from the sump pump.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:56 AM
283CHECK

If they are silverfish they are common in the Kansas/Missouri areas. Do you happen to have shake shingles or siding? That attracts them a coworker gets them in the spring and just goes to the hardware stores and buys fogging bombs and sets them off in the attic. Says they are gone in no time.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

Well I just did some searching on the web and Kaama is right they are called "house centipedes" and they are different than the "silverfish" which is another ugly looking bug.

Quick Reply: Way OT: pest control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.