Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   # of hours out of HP500EFI's before they need rebuilds? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37390-hours-out-hp500efis-before-they-need-rebuilds.html)

Wild Horses 11-25-2002 02:52 PM

Steve

Is not OSO the best? Simply ask and ye shall receive. MrsWildHorses and I are always looking into what engines the next craft shall have and for bang for the buck and $$ we keep coming back to 500 EFI's with Whipples. Thank you for the information and we will definitely take you up on the ride. My sister-in-law in is West Palm. :cool:

Yes that would be the lake and we were anchored out and watching the race that weekend. If you are returning we will have to hook up.

Cheers,
Trevor

SKEET 11-25-2002 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Wild Horses
Steve

Is not OSO the best? Simply ask and ye shall receive. MrsWildHorses and I are always looking into what engines the next craft shall have and for bang for the buck and $$ we keep coming back to 500 EFI's with Whipples. Thank you for the information and we will definitely take you up on the ride. My sister-in-law in is West Palm. :cool:

Yes that would be the lake and we were anchored out and watching the race that weekend. If you are returning we will have to hook up.

Cheers,
Trevor

TREVOR ,THE WHIPPLE AND 500 EFI IS TRULY A finiky SET UP
The truth be told you have to send off the computer to get it right that will take several attemps again if the truth were told .
it would be fine with a better computer system

bobby daniels 11-29-2002 04:13 PM

HOW BAD IS THE WHIPPLE ?? IS THE PROCHARGER REALLY BETTER??

rpm 11-29-2002 10:32 PM

I know this is going to start some conversation....BUT

Per Mercury Hi-Perf on 500 EFI Valvetrain

1. At 150 hours pull the valve covers and look everything over

2. At 200 hours replace the valvetrain or take your chances.

For those that would like to hear it for themselves, call 920-929-5000 and ask for Mercury Racing.

Rod

SteveDavid 11-29-2002 10:35 PM

Dave,

Fresh water can have "nasties" in it as well. Alkaline, iron, sulphur etc. I would use (and do use) Salt Away or similar solution and flush the engine after you're finished for the day. When completed, if you have the drain in the bottom water rail of the header, open it to drain. If you don't have the drain and instead have the 4 hoses leading to a central line, just disconnect the central line to drain. The residue of the Salt Away, Salt Terminator, Salt Rid etc. will remain coated to the header internals.

Steve

sauron 11-30-2002 07:39 AM

Steven David, how are you? If you see anyone looking for 502 EFI's, I have two for sale. Roger A.

SteveDavid 11-30-2002 10:43 PM

Hi Roger,

Good to hear from you. How's that 32 running now?
On your 500 EFI's, e mail Too Old (Fred Cecil). He lives just down the road from you in Cheraw, South Carolina. He was interested in the 500 EFI short blocks I had about 2 months ago. Aside from Fred, Bill's Marine in Fort Lauderdale buys them every once in a while.

Take care Roger, give my regards to Tommy, David and the gang.

Steve

TYPHOON 12-01-2002 10:36 AM

We had to run our old 2000 EFI motor at the worlds this year in F1. I was worried about the power I would have left on a motor with 90 hrs and aprox. 02 plus races on it.We changed the springs and did a tune up. If you watched the races at both SBI and APBA we won both worlds.I thought racing everyone else with new power would put us at a huge disadvantage but after the green flag went up I new after 100 yards our motor was fine. Cant beat the 500EFI with a XR drive.
Randy Typhoon F1-29 World Champs APBA / SBI

SteveDavid 12-03-2002 01:03 AM

Dave,

What type of flush outs do you have. if any? If you do and they have the check valve, or a shut off betweent he drive and strainer/engine you can turn off the outdrive pickup and run on the flush system alone. The Salt Away product comes with a small container that goes between the boat and the fresh water source (hose bib). Thus when you're running the hose to your fresh water flush, it mixes with the Salt Away while the engine is running. When you're finsihed flushing your engine, just disconnect the hose, turn on the valve to your strainer or engine (if check valve, no need to do anything but dissconnect the hose and tighten the cap on the fresh water flush connection.)

One other note, try not to leave the shore power cord attached to your boat for days or weeks on end while it's in the water. We discovered that doing so can set up electrolysis inside the exhaust headers and turn them to swiss cheese. Essentially it turns the headers into a batterry of sorts and fries them from the inside out. Electrolysis can occur in both salt and fresh water.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Tonto 12-03-2002 02:02 AM

Salt Away, Salt Away, Salt Away.
As Mr. David said, Salt Away, Salt Away, Salt Away ;)
Robert