Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What does R.O.G.O. property in the Keys mean? >

What does R.O.G.O. property in the Keys mean?

Notices

What does R.O.G.O. property in the Keys mean?

Old 12-01-2002, 11:02 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does R.O.G.O. property in the Keys mean?

What does R.O.G.O. property in the Florida Keys mean?

I assume you cannot build on those lots. Can you build a dock out/seawall/hoist on them to moor your boat?

Just curious.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROGO = Rate Of Growth Ordinance
Old 12-02-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This nifty ordinance essentially limits development of land in Monroe County (i.e. the Keys) From what I learned its a points based system that requires a minimum of points to be accrue before county building permits will be issued. It's not easy, for example if you need 30 points for your project you can earn points by waiting. I think you get 2 points a year. Or you can "donate" land back to the county for use as protected space. I think that may be worth a few more points or you could develop other land for low income housing and get some more. The cute thing about this once you reach the minimum you are then in competition with other projects that also have points as well. You can imagine what the odds of an individual project are against informed locals or large developers I looked into buying land and building but I decided to buy a condo in Key West. I am very happy with the choice. If you buy a lot w/o ROGO permits you have a parking lot at best and God forbid if you have waterfront with mangroves! Just a footnote, I am not against all the rules. It's just the way it is. I love the keys and feel lucky to have a little slice of heaven on earth. There are many barriers for development for what little space is left if want to build you will need and excellent agent and patience.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Not to mention this B/S!

http://www.standing-watch.org/main.html

Good luck, I'm afraid you'll need it.
MD
Old 12-02-2002, 11:20 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be a catch with these cheap R.O.G.O. properties.

What do you guys think of Summerland Key....pretty neat to have a house on the water with a private airstrip in front, and a plane under your house.

The Manatee people are nuts, since there are more sea cows every year, what is the problem?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 AM
Registered

CBR - I've been going to the Key's about 20 years now and if it means anything......the locals are leaving and going to the Bahamas. Don't get me wrong, I love the Key's but it has REALLY changed the past few years. The reef's are dieing and the purity of the Key's is dieing. The big orange brain corals I saw diving 15 or so years ago are dieing big time. Anyhow I still go down there 2 or 3 times a year and have been involved with some projects down there.......permiting is a ***** !!!! You will wait 2 to 5 years or more to build !!! Buy land and donate to Monroe county and it's thank you and we'll get back to you. Wardey