Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Way OT: pest control (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37449-way-ot-pest-control.html)

jr 11-22-2002 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did the same thing. The site said ant and roach killer, or boric acid.

This guy look familiar? Mine aren't that furry but thats them.

seanclong 11-22-2002 01:05 PM

WOW!!!! I was just checking out those bugs on the internet and ran across this interesting fact: silverfish can go up to one year without food!!!!! :eek: :D :eek: That's no way to live. :D

KAAMA 11-22-2002 01:10 PM

Originally posted by jr
This guy look familiar? Mine aren't that furry but thats them.
Yep! That's the one! :)

Ranman 11-22-2002 01:16 PM

Yep that's them. The "big fuzzy bugs".

Scarab, You can buy Boric Acid at any hardware store like Aco, Ace, Home Depot, etc.. It's not expensive (maybe $4 a bottle). It comes as a white powder in a squeeze bottle with a nipple you have to cut off. If you use it inside the house, I would agree with KAAMA, use sparingly at first. The stupid squeeze bottles dont work well, so maybe I'd put some in a bowl or whatever and sprinkle with a spoon or something. Anyway, the stuff seems to work well. Again, I'm assuming you have no inside pets. If not, you can use the acid inside around the sump and baseboards. If you have indoor animals, another solution may be necessary as the stuff will get to them too.

26scarab 11-22-2002 01:23 PM

off the the hardware store I go !!!
no inside animals so no worrys there.

Just seeing that picture creeps me out...I hate those things !!

Aqua-Holic 11-22-2002 02:14 PM

This is way too funny! I know exactly what you are talking about. One thing to add is that women (my girlfriend) can have radar for them. She can spot one 20' away in the dark underneath something!:eek: :eek:

They are nasty little guys and quick as well!:p

freckles 11-22-2002 02:59 PM

Thanks a lot, JR! I'm STILL doing the heebie-jeebie dance. Ugh! What about us people with inside pets? Is there anything effective we can use that won't croak the cats?

Ranman 11-22-2002 04:16 PM

Freckles, i have two cats also. I poured a healthy line of Boric Acid around the perimeter of my house (on the outside around the foundation). This took a couple of bottles of the powder and I essentially had a white ring around my foundation for a few weeks until it rained a few times. When it rains it soakes the ground with the acid which will remain there for years. I did this to cure a mild ant problem (which it did almost instantly). Consequent;y I have not seen any new fuzzy bugs since either. I'm not exactly sure if the acid did it or not, but for 12 bucks, it can't hurt and you'll at least be ant free.

jr 11-22-2002 09:14 PM

Sorry Christine. :D My worst run in with one of those thing was last August. I was laying on the floor watching TV with the lights out. It was hot so I wasn't wearing a shirt. One of those little boogers came running out, up my arm and across my chest before I knew what it was. Bugs don't freak me out but that little suprise got the blood pumping alittle.

Sleep tight.:D

Jeff

Ron P 11-22-2002 10:05 PM

After you chase them out of the basement they are going to live under your bed.....or in it.

Sleep tight...don't let the.........................