Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What Happened to the boat registry??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37538-what-happened-boat-registry.html)

Raypanic 11-23-2002 04:08 PM

What Happened to the boat registry???

I did a couple of searches and I could not find it. Why doesn't OSO put an official one on here? Or am I missing something?? It sure would be nice to be able to know who has what.

puder 11-23-2002 04:18 PM

i still have the one i created. I have the database and templates around somehwere I could post it online again.

Raypanic 11-23-2002 06:58 PM

Seems easier than that to me, I would think OSO could add a few fields to our profiles and allow them to be searched on. IE:

Boat Manuf:
Legnth:
Engines:
Drives:
Picture:
ect...

Playn 11-23-2002 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Seems like I remember reading that Mickey got tired of maintaing the registry.

I agree, it would be nice if we had another one. Sure would be a BIG job though. The membership has exploded since back when Mickey put the registry together.

Plus......It would be a full time job just keeping track of TooOld's boats:rolleyes: :D :D :D

Cord 11-24-2002 07:52 AM

I'd be game to take it on. Hey, OSO, do we want to try it again?

I'm thinking about this and the easiest way to get started would be to have everybody just e-mail me with the stats. However, it would be really nice to tie it into the members list and have people search and compare info. You know, make it interactive. This is proably something that the board god's would have to set up using their software. The nice thing is that people could enter and edit their own information so the list would be self maintaining. Here's some ideas of what could go into the list...

Board Member name
Given name
Explanation of pen name
Occupation
Boat type
Boat manufacturer
Boat length
Boat name
Number of engines
Type of engines
Horse power of each
Torque of each
Fuel type
Manufacturer of engine
Engine name
Boat weight
Drive type
Shortened drive?
Drive ratio
Prop
Best for top speed
Best for hole shot
Best for cruising
Top speed
Best thing about boat
Worst thing about boat
Past boats you have owned
owner comments
link for private message and e-mail

I'm trying to take this list from just being a curiosity, to something that is usefull to both the fellow boaters, but also the advertisers on this site. If it can be set up correctly, you could search for a catamaran that is 30' long with twin 500hp engines and see how fast it is going. You could then send a PM to the owner to see how they like it. This could be kinda neat.

Raypanic 11-24-2002 08:26 AM

Yes, I think it would be VERY usefull, I use Hotboat.net's performance archives in order to get information on propping speeds ect.

If set up properly our information would be more real world than the hotboat info because it would not be from the mag tests that are oftin boats that are set up to review well. Plus with multiple information on the same boat/setup it would really narrow down the questions.

How many times do you see questions about the same topic? No bashing here but it is not always easy to search your way to the answer especially if you are a novice and dont know the terms. Having a registry would help quite a bit.

Cord: wow you did some thinking on your list!

searace 11-24-2002 09:08 AM

There is an apache registry at www.apacheracingteam.com

buckknekkid 11-24-2002 09:36 AM

its simple

set up a PHP databse, they have phpmyadmin, create an interface to enter and update the information, get a host and it becomes a fully interactive system. check out www.spiritinteractive.com this is a demo of updatable information structures. and no ones trying to sell you a boat!