Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Cat for your buck... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37553-best-cat-your-buck.html)

skaterize 11-24-2002 09:19 AM

I dont like typing forever but when it comes to an OSO and cats, well here it goes. i would highly recommend looking into insurance (like H2xmark said) if you havent yet, but if your claim free and do not want to soar into the 100's (mph) it will be inexpensive or similar to a comparable V. Try to have it insured with the same company as home. Now the boat, if you havent driven a cat it is not fun to find out you dont like how it drives after the fact, especially at speeds under 45-50. Try to sea trial some because it seems all are quite different in one way or another ( true cat versus pod style especially ) east coast cats tend to have more compression aswell. not trying to scare you but do you homework because it pays off. Im sure theyre r plenty of OSO members in your area that would love to take you for a ride. make a decision if you want outboards or inboards you can get more boat with outboards and more room but less fuel economy, and normally faster for same or less horsepower. AS FOR THE BOAT, (28')Profiles are nice and they make a nice boat but heavy and like bigger motors. (26')American Offshore makes great boat but have a short deck and the ride is high. (25')Eliminator is a great choice if an inboard. (28')Boss has had great write up's over last few months(no personal exp).(24') Liberator has a splash of a Skater which looks nice. (26') Firehawk was a great all around boat i enjoyed the ride but not sure if still make them.(25')Warlock had real nice interior layout and dash layout. Im not sure what the budget is but you should be able to pick up on any of these cats for around 40k-50k some new and some used, Good luck, Craig

ps. Dont forget about a SKATER (nothing else needs to be said)

rbtnt 11-24-2002 07:07 PM

Here's a link to info on a 2000 25 Daytona with very low hrs that can be configured anyway that you want.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=32059

The first cat I road in was a 25' Daytona with a 500 efi and it did 84. This was a boat with only a few hours on it. Like the other posts say, take a ride in the type of water you will be boating in and at all speeds. Some will bounce in flat water and ride smooth with a little chop.

Some of the insurance companies require a clean driving record and 1 yr experience driving a cat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

KCHOTBOAT 11-24-2002 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am selling my HTM 97 with new 540 motor. Been in hotboat and powerboat mags. several times. email me if you are interested.

dropthehammer 11-24-2002 09:07 PM

KCHOTBOAT - Thanks for the email. I tried to send a private message but your mailbox is full.

I am interested as it may be in my price range. Right now, I am fighting whether this is the right time or not as I have a baby on the way (same excuse everyone uses, right?). However, I would love to see pictures, hear details, etc...

VelocityMike 11-24-2002 10:50 PM

Mark in So MD and I test drove a 28 Profile Cat. The boat had something like a 800hp motor and was pretty impressive. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Mark in So MD do you remember and info about this boat?

97BossHammer 11-25-2002 07:27 AM

My vote........Eliminator.

MnHowardCat 11-25-2002 07:37 AM

dropthehammer

You realy should go test drive some cat with about the same power and same water conditions as thay can drive and handel differently. A couple of things to look for bow deck flex and porpoise some cat's do more then others.

skaterize
Made a vairy good point insurance can be a problem
it deepens on how fast you want to go the faster you go the more your insurance is going to cost check around my insurance is not that bad.
500hp will get most cats in this size to the mid to upper 70s and insurance would'nt be that bad.

Keep an eye on the Boat Brokers,inc.http://www.theboatbroker.com/ Thay gat a lot of cats.

I love my Howard but you do have to drive it and know when to say when.

;) ;) ;) GOOD LUCK

surfacetension 11-25-2002 08:27 AM

FORCE makes a 26 and a 29 67K for a 26 w/ a 509 6k more and you get a 29 w/ 496HO Hot Boat tested both the 26 is in a cat shootout from a couple of month,s ago . If $$$$$ is the issue these are the most bang for the buck

Airpacker 11-25-2002 09:21 AM

Originally posted by MnHowardCat
dropthehammer

A couple of things to look for bow deck flex and porpoise some cat's do more then others.

Th deck on a 25 daytona is one of the stiffest I have ever encountered on a cat.

500hp will get most cats in this size to the mid to upper 70s and insurance would'nt be that bad.

84 to 85 in a 25 daytona with a 500.

I love my Howard but you do have to drive it and know when to say when.

Really? The one comment I get when I let someone try my cat is "it is really easy to drive"

And now a question for you.How deep is the pod in your Howard compared to the sponsons?

Uncle Toys 11-25-2002 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I really don’t have a lot of experience except for the Eliminators, so take the following for what it’s worth.

Eliminator has been making the 25’ Daytona for some time and the hull has proven it self up to 144 mph. I personally know a half dozen guys with 25’s that do in the 110 mph range routinely – no problems! More importantly, no porpoising in the mid range.

Considering they have been around a while, you should be able to get a good used boat. Also, read up on the Eliminator forum. There are a bunch of 25 Daytona owners there.

As far as insurance, be prepared. Your going to get hammered!