anti lock brakes, good or bad

Notices

anti lock brakes, good or bad

Old 11-23-2002, 05:19 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti lock brakes, good or bad

towing with anti lock brakes........ is it a good or bad thing. I am getting ready to sign the papers on a 03 1500 dodge ram with there new 5.7L hemi motor. I want the 3.92 rear axle but in order to get it I have to get anti locks. I love anti locks in my cars and know how to use them but I never had anti locks on my tow vehicles. is there any thing I should be aware of. if I had a choice what would some of you recommend??????

I am pulling a 28 scarab that weighs around 5100 lbs when full of fuel , the trailer is got to be at least 1000 lbs plus gear. I estamate 6500 lbs to be safe. the trailer has hydrolic serg brakes.

thanks

Paul
Old 11-23-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered

It's a great thing. I've been in some panic stops towing a 38 Scarab and a 30 Motion with surge brakes and the truck stayed straight a 01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Ram. Now lets get anti lock on the trailers. I used to drive for a living it was great when anti locks were on both when trailering a 53ftr it was nice to know in a panic in snow it would track behind straight.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Yup ABS is great.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

ABS Is a "must have" in my opinion on a truck because of the lack of weight on the rear axle and when towing it is even better for stopping in a straight line in panic situation.

If you had no ABS and the trailer swayed now your setting up for a jacknifed trailer--not good.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anti Lock brakes blow in snow. Ever try to stop when there is several inches of fresh snow on the ground? They will not dig down to the pavement, just keep rolling along. Yeah, you can steer, just can't stop. If you don't like them just pull the fuse.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Murph,

One word...YES! Call me Sunday. Not riding as back hurts too much. Maybe have a bite with you and boss on your way home?
Old 11-24-2002, 01:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

OK, I just gotta ask. Why are anti lock brakes tied to a specific axle ratio? Is it part of a package? BTW, have you checked the cost of the 2500? It has bigger brakes, heavier springs and is stronger in general (better for towing), plus the hemi is standard so the cost differential may not be too great. FWIW, I love my 98 2500 and I am NOT biased. My last truck was a Chevy and I also own a 3500 Ford utility body with a V10. I haven't had a chance to try one of the new hemis yet but I will soon. Keep us posted on how this shakes out for you.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

cpqtim- you're right ABS can increase your stopping distance on snow/ice. IF you apply them lightly , expecting the slippery conditions as with conventional brakes, you will not stop well. This is because once the initial apply initiates the abs pressure from the brake pedal is blocked and the ABS system works the brakes. The system can bleed off lots of pressure but can add very little over what you initially supplied. If you supplied low pressure, thats pretty much the max pressure that will be used to stop. Pushing harder on the pedal while abs is on does nothing. SO, if you are stopping in slippery conditions, hit the brakes HARD, make the abs do the work, and you will find stopping distance reduced or at worst equal to conventional brakes.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Registered

Go4broke,
You are correct sir ! People that don't like ABS are usually the people that aren't using it properly. You have to throw the old style braking mentality out the door.
I went thru this question when my dad bought his truck two years ago. He didn't want to spring for the ABS (too much money) well we happened to be up at our cabin snowmobiling, lots of snow and ice. So we were going around 40 on an old icy back road and I said "here's what you can do with ABS" I let go of the wheel and stood on the brakes... he freaked but we came to a safe stop without loss of control. He ended buying the ABS
Old 11-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not leave home without them.

Had to make a panic stop from 72 MPH on I-95 pulling the 36 Outlaw behind the F350.

WOW, I would have never practiced this, but they worked perfect, I was in full control and the rig stayed as straight as an arrow.

Did not even feel the anti-locks till I slowed to around 40 MPH.

I would not consider any vehicle without them.

Quick Reply: anti lock brakes, good or bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.