Notices

How loud??

Old 11-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by HyperBaja
Can you post up a link of where to find those parts?

Anyone know where to find cheap headers?

"Cheap" and the word "Marine" never go together. Add the word "header" and you have an impossible combination. The problem is that it will be impossible to match the header up to the existing tip location. They'll always be pointed at the wrong spot. So you're going to be looking for a new, low cost header. The cheapest one is by lightning. I think you'll be around $1,700 for a painted steel header. With their design you won't need a tail pipe so you'll be saving another $500 over other header designs. To lower the cost further you'll want to look for some aftermarket aluminum manifolds. The cast-iron ones are great for salt water and stock engine, but other than that they're a pretty crummy design. I think you can get a set for $1,200, but you'll need tail pipes. You can watch around for a used for alot less. The problem is that you're running small block and the rest of us are running big motors. Try to get ahold of a board member called "traviss". He did a small motor build-up this past year and can help you out.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Ive talked to Travis.

The only way to get headers in there and have thru hull would be to have the headers upside down, like how they are in a car. Is that really a bad thing??
Old 11-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Is upside down a bad thing? Ah....YEAH!! There are several reasons why this is bad. Water is one thing....it's gonna sit in the header....not good. Then theres the clearance issues....stringers and such are going to be in the way. I'd shop around for some used EMI's, Powerflow's, etc.... aluminum manifolds. They both make S pipes so you can run down to the Y pipe on silent choice systems. I'm pretty sure you can simply go thru the hull from here.....be about right for what you want.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Registered

Thats what I thought.

I know that with the stock manifolds and risers on the V6 in it now, I would need 2 rubber hoses, tips and clamps and thats it. Im assuming it is the same on the V8.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Only if you're going to go straight out the transom. You CANNOT put any bends in the rubber hose......it WILL burn even with a slight bend in it.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:16 AM
Registered

How would Ido the exhaust then? It has to curve to go from the riser to DOWN towards the tips and then BACK to connect to the tips.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upsidedown? Lightnings are no higher than the carb. Check out www.boatheaders.com

Lightning makes a small block header and I'll guarantee you they don't mount upsidedown. You can get them for quite a bit less than list price.

P.S. - check out their used stuff. looks like a customer hacked up some small block headers, might be the ticket for your application.

Last edited by BGIII; 11-28-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Registered

BUT the dilema is, the headers would need to be upside down to even be near the tips. theres a swim deck on the back that they would need to go under. not saying i would mount them upside down, but that is how they would be even close to the tips.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:55 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The headers need to go over the top. There will be a S shaped pipe that will connect the header to the tip.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
The headers need to go over the top. There will be a S shaped pipe that will connect the header to the tip.
Would that be custom made up??
Anyone from Ohio region weld?

Quick Reply: How loud??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.