OT: Older diesel GM 6.2's ????

Notices

OT: Older diesel GM 6.2's ????

Old 11-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 927 Likes on 466 Posts
Default OT: Older diesel GM 6.2's ????

Can anyone tell me how these engines are? I'm more interested in the 1990 era.....I have a lead on a good deal for a fullsize K5 Blazer with the 6.2 diesel and am wondering if these engines are any good?
What if anything should i look for?
Any short comings to these engines?
Do they have any problems i should be aware of?

Any info would be great!

Also...are these engines anything that can be modded for more power? Banks turbo system maybe?? heheh

Thanks in advance!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wally,run away fast! Those things were crap.period. They ate injector pumps,glow plugs and controllers,cylinder heads and gaskets and broke cranks in two. I have a 91 outside my shop right now with a busted crank. Owner is giving up because of number of major engine failures on this thing. He brought it to me on a referral and i gave him a BIG estimate(engine complete). Then he tells me its his 5th engine,7 heads and gasket failures,2 pumps and so on and so on. Just another fine example of the POS 6.2 I told him. He wants me to convert to a 454 gas motor now. Find another truck and do yourself the favor.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have known people that had trouble with the 6.2 engines also. The good news is that the 6.5 diesel is a bolt-for-bolt swap and they can be had fairly reasonable. And they're turbocharged. If you're getting a great deal on this truck I'd say buy it and look for a 6.5 TD engine. Otherwise, consider paying a bit more and get a Ford PSD, Dodge Cummins, or a GM Duramax. More money, but they're all just about bulletproof.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Registered

People have also told me the same about the 6.5s I looked at a Chevy3500 with the 6.5 but was told not to because of the motor, that is a Detroit right?
Old 11-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Default 6.5 Diesel

I have heard the same thing about the 6.2 and the 6.5, but I went ahead and bought a 1999 3500 GM dually and have had it about a year and it has been trouble free. I also received a letter from GM giving me a 120,000 mile engine warranth including the pump. I will never reach that mileage since I only use it to pull my boat. Hope it will continue to be trouble free.
Now has 76,000 on it.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Most of the 6.5 problems stem from external component failure rather than internal issues. Turbocharger bearings can give up at around the 150,000 to 175,000 mark (although I'm driving one with over 200K without ever having a wrench laid on it), and injection pumps can go south just when you least expect it. There are quality shops like Diesel Injection Service in Grand Rapids MI that deal with the fuel-related issues every day. I recently bought a brand-new turbocharger on E-bay for $425 (a GM-8 to replace my GM-3 unit) just in case I need it. This is half the cost of new.
I really like my 1993 GMC diesel dually and they are affordable. But you have to weigh the purchase price against possible future maintenance costs, as well as the pulling power you are REALLY going to need to do the job for you. If you need big power buy the truck you need to do the job. Good luck. Dave
Old 11-29-2002, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn HAVE-A-STROKE diesel guys! Troutly, if the 6.2 Diesel is such a piece of junk, as you call it, then why do I have over 550,000 miles on mine. It spent most of its life(300,000mi)pulling a Bobcat. I did have to put a new injection pump in it at 400,000mi and two starts. I love a truck that gets 20mpg cruising around town. Almost everyone that bad-mouths the 6.2 and the 6.5 has never owned one. I drove a 350,000mi 6.5 to Florida and back two years ago. Neither truck scares me to drive anywhere.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pyle of ****
Old 11-29-2002, 09:07 AM
Registered

the 6.2 needs a turbo than it'll have some tug power of course it'll grenade in ten minutes.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine was the buyer for the 2nd largest leasing Co.
in the country.....

He told me....Take the NADA low wholesale.....Cut it in half.....
and then only buy if you have to !!!!

JUNK !!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: OT: Older diesel GM 6.2's ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.