Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O.T. need vacation advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38140-o-t-need-vacation-advice.html)

Jassman 12-03-2002 09:09 AM

Try Hedo 2 or Hedo 3, in Jamacia;) :D A very relaxing vacation

Velocitease 12-03-2002 10:34 AM

I agree with Becca -- my best vacation was a bareboat trip around the BVIs (St. John, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, etc.). Typically, you spend 2-3 hours in the late morning sailing to another island and then drop anchor, make boat drinks and explore. St. John and Virginia Gorda are lovely.

I've also been to St. Thomas and St. Croix, but I wasn't impressed.

If you're looking to stick to one spot, I recommend the French side of St. Martin (nice beaches, good food, nightlife and shopping for the ladies) Orient Beach is the only place to be -- lots of water sports and plenty of sights -- it's very European (i.e. topless) and one end of the beach is clothing optional. I'm spending a week there in February before going to the Miami boat show.

I've been to the smaller West Indian islands too: Nevis, Anquilla, Antiqua, St. Barts (very expensive) and Saba. They are all nice and have good beaches, but I would only recommend them if you're looking to relax, drink rum punch and spend quality time with your spouse -- there's not a lot of nightlife.

Cancun is for spring breakers... There's a lot of activity (bars, watersports, shopping) but the place has no real charm -- it's just too commercial for my liking. The street vendors and beggars are very persistent too.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up because it will definitely be warmer than Michigan in the winter!
Lia

Clay Washington 12-03-2002 11:01 AM

Caribbean Reef Club

If you are looking for an adults-only, all-inclusive...

Then check out--> Caribbean Reef Club

While I have never been there, it looks wonderful. You fly into Cancun airport and take the shuttle to a beach south of the Cancun Hotel strip.

It looks like a fun place! :D

MitchStellin 12-03-2002 11:38 AM

Rob, you need heat in your garage, a new sled, new rims for your truck, more power in the boat and you want to waste money on your back in the sun? Let me tell you the Holiday Inn has a nice pool and you can turn the heat up as much as you want. :D Lets ride this weekend. Call me Wed, I am out of the office today in meetings:mad: Thanks.

Rambunctious 12-03-2002 12:43 PM

Thanks Mitch, you are ALWAYS so full of ?????? um.......wisdom

I bought a heater, bought an air compressor, bought some air tools, spent $300 on my $2300 snowmobile, and already have 33"'s on the factory rims.

If I want to spend one more penny on me... I'm gonna need to take her somewhere warm........

You have to admit Mitch. Hawaii was awesome. (although the plane ride killed ya, I know... whine, whine)

some GREAT advice here. spend the last hour looking at all the recommendations.

was at St. MAarten, St. Thomas, St. Croix already.
not sure about Bahamas now, been there too and remember the service. got spoiled by the great service on a cruise and in Hawaii.

Antiqua looks awesome as well as all the Sandals resorts, and the many other suggestions. looked at them all today

keep em coming. I knew I would get good experience from fellow fair weather fans.....

MIdnightRider 12-03-2002 02:52 PM

Came back form Cancun yesterday! Weather was Great. I had not been there before, we stayed at Cancun Palace, all Inclusive. I wouldn't do all inclusive again, I like to go out, the night life there is good, lots of places to eat. The food they served at our resort was OK, drinks and beer were bathtub variety. I just thought it would have been money better spent to do it as I pleased. The one thing that gets tiring in a place like that is all of the side street vending and scaming. I'm on vacation and I just got tired of saying no! My parents have traveled quite exstensively through all the tropical hot spots, and my Dad says the US Virgin Islands is the way to go. That is where I will be looking for our next trip. Cancun is nice, but it is still Mexico.

And for those who have serious girlfriends or are married, a trip will make your girl very happy. A good trip costs allot of money, but so does the boat. Midnight

liquid asset 12-03-2002 08:00 PM

Cancun is great for a cheap quick all inclusive see my pics on the Baja Board

Bo Knows 12-03-2002 09:25 PM

Been to all those places, Aruba gets my vote !

Bo

h2owarrior 12-03-2002 09:56 PM

There are two places I think make great vacations spots. Aruba is one and Cabo San Lucas is the other. I caught a Marlin in Cabo, that is an experience. Went snokeling both places, crystal clear water, a lttle cooler in cabo. Went for Pirate ship rides both places (snorkeling, then drinking). Lots of shipwreks both places if you like to scuba.

In Cabo we stayed at the Westin Regina........Fabulous.

Don't know what kind of musinc you like but Sammy Hagar has a place in Cabo called Cabo Wabo that he frequently plays at.

Andy Buzz 12-04-2002 08:27 PM

Check out the Marriot in Aruba. Great place, nice water, steaks and not too turisty like Cancun. They do have great turist attractions. I went on a safari where you rent 4X4 Land Rovers and follow on a tour of "Beat the Rover" driving around with other maniacs on a guided tour.

Definitely a fun place.