OT: Corvette power boost button

Notices

OT: Corvette power boost button

Old 12-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Corvette power boost button

I remember a while ago reading about some button that you could push and hold until the engine went into a higher horespower mode by advancing the timing.

Was this BS? If not, how does it work. My buddy has a 91 and would like to know the secret if one exists.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:49 PM
Registered

That was on the 1997 and newer, and it just was for the handling of the car chassy and nothing for the HP
Old 12-02-2002, 11:20 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

oh i dunno about that. a buddy of mine has a 99 z28 camaro and it works on there is a noticable HP gain. Hell you can even hear the difference in the exhuast note. You can certainly feel teh extra power whne driving.

As for the vette yeah it works on that too. His dad has a 01 vette and of course after we realized it worked on the z28 we had to try eth vette. Its a fact. I think it adjust teh handling of the car as wella s an HP increase. You start the car and then push and hold teh traction contro lbutton for like 10-15 seconds and it will pop into "competitio mode" the display will read competition mode havea nice day. There are noticable performance gains. BUT it will only work on cars with and LS1.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

So if you push the button for a second it shuts off the traction control, but then when you hold it in longer it changes something in the engine mapping? Are all new C5 Vettes LS-1s other than the Z06 which is an LS-6?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:51 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i could have sworn it advanced the timing a hair. it certainly feels like it has more power.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Traction Control

This system is for traction control and suspension settings.

The reason it feels stonger is when the sensors on the rear wheels detect wheelspin, it adjusts the timing and throttle openings to reduce power!

Great for everyday driving in sub-optimal conditions.

Not for performance driving where you use the throttle to get the back end around in a corner (oversteer).

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 12-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

If I read this right it doesn't work on the Z06? A friend of mine has a new Z06, it would be cool if it worked. He is looking for more performance out of the car. Engine mods are in the very near future.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

GottaHaveIt;

You and I have the exact same frame and running gear. I have the 2500 Avalanche. The 455lb/ft of TQ is too much for the first gear in the M32 Tranny that you and I have. The 2500HD with the Allison Automatic and of course the ZF6 spd will do the roasting you are mentioning. It is a fact that the GM Computer on the 8.1 with the M32 transmission reduces engine power from a dead start, (in first gear). I can already spin all four tires in 4wd High when pulling the boat. (I did it by accident once at a stoplight and it was not cool. I damn near reverse pendulum swung into the next lane.)

If there is a way to defeat this, I would love to know how, but you know what... my gas mileage blows already.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-03-2002 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a Hypertech PPIII, true dual flowmaster all SS custom exhaust, and K&N FIPK. I definately think my throttle response has gone up; however, all the TQ is not there.

Check out:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/
and look under performance mods forum.

They are touting the new Predator Engine Tuner as 10 times better than the HT PPIII; as well as the Volant Intake (FIPK). I went with my choices because I have used them before, and both the Predator and Volant are new to the market. I do not keep up on that board very often; but believe it or not, it is better about the AV than OSO is about boats when it comes to knowledge base.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Registered

You guys might try talking to PCMforless computer programming, they can reprogram car and boat computers for more power, custom applications, I am sure they can adjust that first gear timing retard as well.

Quick Reply: OT: Corvette power boost button

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.