Notices

344 Cheetah

Old 03-29-2024, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 344 Cheetah

I am interested in any info on how this boat holds up in the rough on Lake Michigan. I had been under the impression that the Hustlers didn't hold up to rough water, but It was based solely in the 388 Slingshot. I've since learned that this boat is not a great reflection the the full line of Hustler boats. I don't want a 40' boat that takes up that much space in my spot, but I'm looking for get something a little bigger than my 31 Sonic. I rarely take my Sonic it in less than 2-3 waves, and that's the kind of boat I'm looking for going forward. I've seen a couple of these Cheetah's around and they don't show up broken in my shop so I'm just curious to know what "we" think about this particular boat model.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

The slingshot can get a bad rap due to the drainage design flaw. This is where water gets trapped in front of the steps eventually causing water intrusion and the bottom to crack about 4-6ft in front of the cuddy bulkhead. This is about a 10-15k fix when sending back to Hustler.

The cheetah does not have this flaw. Cheetahs are also composite from the engine bay bulkhead forward. The bilge is wood for compression. They are built very well and the rigging is fantastic. The cockpit and cabin height is noticeably smaller than the slingshot.

They fly very level and run high speed with mild power. We did 92mph with 525efi’s imco standard length lowers and 32p bravos spinning in. The boat was very loose at those speeds. Around mid 80’s it starts to loosen up. Perhaps a different set of props would help.

I thought it did well in the rough water, obviously is not a wave crusher like a cig/apache. Felt very solid when we took some good licks down in loto. I’d recommend a cheetah to anyone, solid boats, awesome quality.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask. Have quite a few hours in the 344 and 388 (Slingshot &Reloaded).
The following 3 users liked this post by apex svt:
Griff (03-30-2024), Indy (03-30-2024), Smarty (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I've heard good things about the 344 and after running with my friends in this video I am pretty impressed. Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by offshorexcursion:
miller high life (04-04-2024), Revd Up (04-02-2024), the deep (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I've heard good things about the 344 and after running with my friends in this video I am pretty impressed. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/IOuyKp7YG_Q?si=-KJrtx4NJ9m9n0Pl
That’s the chief 750 scx-4 boat right? Did he get a set of props that worked well? Last I heard they were testing a few different setups.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by apex svt
That’s the chief 750 scx-4 boat right? Did he get a set of props that worked well? Last I heard they were testing a few different setups.
I think Ryan is still testing, he borrowed a set of mine and got some good data but needs more dialing in.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I think Ryan is still testing, he borrowed a set of mine and got some good data but needs more dialing in.
I’ll shoot you a pm, don’t want to detail OP’s post. Very curious on what they’ve tried.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I fixed a 388 that had this issue and it had it for a while because we also had to replace a large area of balsa core that had gotten wet and rotten. Anyway after we had done all the work the customer started running the boat in poker runs and came back with some cracks in other areas on the deck. It wasn't terrible but at the time he said he wouldn't be running in the rough stuff anymore because the boat seemed to take a beating... In my Sonic I hit a wave so hard last year I saw it travel across the damn deck of the boat. Took it off the trailer a few weeks later to clean the bottom and inspected everything and not a single crack anywhere. And once you've been out there driving a boat like you're on a motocross track it's kinda boring to be out there when it's calm. And here's the most important factor.. I'd be upgrading my Sonic engines with blowers right now, but the wife has already said I have to get a bigger boat if shes going to keep going out with me. So I'm looking for something a little longer that will move around a little bit less, but still perform. Buddy has a 38 Sonic, it crushes the waves for sure but it's not a performance boat with 1600HP.. maybe 2500 HP it'd be ok but then 200 gallons of fuel wouldn't be enough to use the damn thing.. I was looking for a 33 Active but those just aren't out there right now and I came across these 344's .. My son keeps telling me we just need to get a Catamaran, but I don't see them doing what the V-bottoms can until you spend half a millions bucks.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Is a 344 that much bigger than your 31 sonic? A friend had a 344 and don't remember it being that big on the trailer
Old 04-01-2024, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Please excuse this reply if it’s in the wrong spot - this is my first time replying.
I have a 2007 Hustler Cheetah with 525s (Lambo orange with silver/gray) XR ITS drives, new CMI headers, new Garmin and some others. Please feel free to reach out with any questions - I may have to part with her this summer (trailer as well) Schooch1282@aol.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Is a 344 that much bigger than your 31 sonic? A friend had a 344 and don't remember it being that big on the trailer
I’d have to imagine no. Freeboard wise and cabin height the sonic would have more.

That said, I haven’t taken a ruler to a sonic to compare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.