Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where would you live Part 2: South VS. West >

Where would you live Part 2: South VS. West

Notices

Where would you live Part 2: South VS. West

Old 12-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Intolerant1

Default Where would you live Part 2: South VS. West

Hopefully in the next year we will be relocating to warmer weather. My wife leases and runs a horse farm and the rent is killing us ( 70K plus last year ). This money is there to be made but winters are killing her working outside. The contenders are the southern states ie. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and out west ie. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, maybe Texas. Ive been watching the weather and it seems to be pretty cold everywhere this year.

Heres the dilema and I am open to any thoughts. Maybe some have you have been in similar situations. I am retiring at 37 years old from a police department and I have 10 years of loving my job to put behind me. I have to leave due to an injury that will prevent me from chasing bad guys I have my pension and some cash but not sure what I want to do with the rest of my life. I dont know if I should look for work and then move to the work or live where I want and make the money however it works out. Just not where I expected to be in the middle of my career. I dont see myself working in a corporate enviornment and honestly, I'm leaning toward worrying about a carreer after I get my wifes busines relocated. Wife keeps talking Florida and we may just sell the house and go buy a little condo while we see what we really want. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 PM
Intolerant1

P.S. Gotta be near the water!

Old 12-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally posted by Intolerant1
P.S. Gotta be near the water!
So, what the heck would you want to move to the desert for then????

My vote, if I was in your position, would be somewhere South. Its a big decision. I know it would be for me. If it were me, I'd get eveything taken care of on the homefront and sell the house or at least put it on the market. Then take some extended trips to the areas you considering to get a better feel for the areas.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of horse riding in Florida. Polo all over the place.

Jon
Old 12-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris-
Lots of horses in the Ocala area in Florida, but that is more central in the state. I would seriously look at the area just north of Royal Palm, (northwest West Palm Beach). Equestrian is huge right around there, and the properties are all good size without breaking the bank. Plus, the ocean is very close by!
Jim
Old 12-04-2002, 07:52 AM
Registered

Yea, it is cold down here, @ 9pm last night it was 72 outside. Had to turn the AC (air conditioning) on. I have lived in Milwaukee, Pittsburg, & Houston. If I had choice I would move to Austin but other that that I am going to stay here & just visit other parts of the country. After moving down here from up north it took me a while to get use to the summer heat but I rather handle that then shovel show. Hell, grass had grown so tall that I had to cut it last weekend.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by Turbojack
Hell, grass had grown so tall that I had to cut it last weekend.
Easy TJ, you know law enforcement people frequent this board

p.s. We all know you really want to move to Eliminator land aka Havasu

Old 12-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

That was going to be my suggestion, Ocala in central Florida. Here, just north of Atlanta there is a pretty good size equestrian community. My sister shows her horse just about every weekend. Then you have Lake Lanier to boat on on the weekends . Let me know if you want to visit and I'll show you around.
Robert