Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speed Rails - fact or fiction? >

Speed Rails - fact or fiction?

Notices

Speed Rails - fact or fiction?

Old 12-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a set several years ago. you could definitley feel the boat lift a lot more out of the water and the ride was more harsh, but I didn't see any magical increase in speed. I had them screwed on along with 5200. One ripped off and left some nice holes in the bottom. They also dug into the trailer bunks and tore the carpeting when hitting the trailer at a less than perfect angle. I took the remaining ones off and gave up on them. I think the concept is good but too many problems mounting them as an addon.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think as alluded to above, that the increased lift would cause increased chine walk much like smaller but fast lake boats with great lift for speed. Also the affixing to the hull with whatever method presents itself as a hazard whether in the rough or simply pushing up on the beach for cold totti. My vote is snake oil...
Old 12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
454hoho

Default .

Read TOFFENs post 0f 11/30/02

Old 12-04-2002, 05:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to give Awkward Monohull credit...He has come up with more ways to try and make a vee hull lift off the water and fly than anyone in history...... sadly he has missed the point that this has already been done..and better by an earlier design......It's called a catamaran.

Years ago old lonesome George Linder and I were racing vee bottom Eltros...This was right after the civil war or the Beatles...I forget which.......

Anyway.... We encountered the first tunnel hulls, which promptly made mincemeat out of our previously dominent race boats. So we spent this long Saturday afternoon modifying vee hull drawings...... we drew wings mounted to the decks...sticking out the sides.....over the motors....on the drivers helmets (Hey Ocke, there's one you missed!!!).....etc, etc.

Then I drove my first tunnel hull.........and all the "Flying Vee" nonsense stopped.

But I do admire ol' Shaky Marigold's tenacity ......he does not waiver in his belief in the driveable lawn dart. How that has bred a legion of zealous followers is truly a wonderful mystery.

T2x
Old 12-04-2002, 05:47 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put T2x......MikeJ I know you were involved with this west coast project and I believe we probably know or knew in one case all of the people involved
Old 12-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Registered

There was a report done on these years ago by one of the mags, powerboat I think. Ill try and find it. Results were not good.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on the boat. speed rails do work. but yes loading and off loading would kill them. at the races we use a crane so there is no damage. usally speed rails are added because there is somthing lacking. if the hull is done right the first time don't need them.

Treadwell
Old 12-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Registered

I have been truly enjoying “Speed Rails” and the “Stepped Bottom” threads. I spoke to T2x earlier tonight, and he asked me if I visited the “Speed Rail” thread? My reply was, no not yet. T2x then said I should read about Okie Dokie Mayonnaise’s speed rail bottom add on. I think they are made by the same people that make the “Bass –O-matic” Wasn’t that on SNL? Ronco makes the speed rails, or Okie fonokie. Oh well T2x is drawing a helmet wing. I hear he is holding auditions for a test pilot.
Philip

I am off to the "Step Bottom" Thread. I don't want to miss anything. What was that about Shock Wave, and some fuzzy little things?

Last edited by Philip; 12-04-2002 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll leave my old Cigarette hull alone. It was meant to do something, and it does it well.

I promised to post responses I got from the people that sell the rails. Gene has been very responsive to my emails.

========================================

Hi Steve,

No problem on the questions, I spend the better part of each day answering questions anyway.

Yes, the rails attach with 5200 adhesive. They also have 6 screws on each rail #10x1/2" to hold them on while the glue dries. The screws can stay or be taken out after the cure time. I recommend leaving them on. Yes the rails can be removed but will require a little gel work to fill the 1/8" holes. You should not see any decrease in speed whatsoever. The only negative we have seen yet is a little noise from where the spray is :bouncing" back up on to the bottom. I'm not even sure you would hear it in a Cig because they are built so well.

We just completed a 34 Baja. The boat turned A LOT better after the rails were put on. We had a 2mph increase at 3500-4000-4500-5000-rpms at each speed. We got a 3mph increase at WOT. The boat behaved well with just a little bounce in a hard turn at WOT. All said, I call this one a success.

I think this data could be even better if we "tweaked" the placement a bit. This installation was done exactly to the mfgrs recommendation, the customer was thrilled.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,
Gene
Old 12-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Mike J

Sean: Yes sir im sure we know all
of the people involved With the
Volvo HI-Performance Group.
That part of my life is one of
those 3am "What ifs" that we all
have, What if I would have stayed
with the Navy Special Weapons
Group and not let myself get talked into that deal.
That is Why im staying off the
Step Bottom Thread.
Mike J.

Quick Reply: Speed Rails - fact or fiction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.