Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What Would You Pay For 22" Wheels?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38269-what-would-you-pay-22-wheels.html)

WHITE-DIAMONDS 12-04-2002 03:15 PM

What Would You Pay For 22" Wheels??

1 Attachment(s)
Just curious on what you guys think these wheels and tires are worth. They are brand new 22" x 9" Oasis Edge CHROME wheels mounted on brand new 305-40-22 Pirelli Scorpion tires. These wheels are eight lug, designed to fit Excursions and Hummer H2's.

I've got a 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4, will these wheels/tires really change how my truck rides? The tire load rating looks to be o.k. for when I tow my 32' Excalibur......Anybody out there with simialiar sized wheels/tires that do alot of towing??

I am thinking of buying them yet I am also thinking of buying to resell and make a little money??? Just curious on what would be a good price to buy them at....

I checked a little online and found the wheels go for $725 EACH! and the tires go for around $324 EACH from tirerack.com

Any help would be GREAT!!!

WHITE-DIAMONDS

jrocket 12-04-2002 03:22 PM

Why?????Never understood the purpose of the oversize wheel and why would you ask on a offshore boating sight???

WHITE-DIAMONDS 12-04-2002 03:29 PM

WHY larger wheels??? Because they look 1000 times better than the dinky stock 16" wheels mounted on a 7000ibs. truck.

Why did I post this question on this sight? Because their are tons Ford Excursion owners on this sight that pull...................BOATS!! They question realates to wheels, trucks, boats = GENERAL DISCUSSION

Sorry it rubbed you the wrong way JROCKET.

Sydwayz 12-04-2002 03:31 PM

Oversize wheels really do change the whole look of the vehicle in one very easy and expensive swipe. As far as handling and towing a load, you are going to obviously loose some traction when it comes to using the typical prowess of your 4wd, but if you don't go offroading, or travel in the snow much, I say go for it. You are not going to be able to lower your air pressure and get more traction, and you may notice more wheelspin on slick ramps. What are the speed rating on the tires? Tires with a high speed rating have stiffer sidewalls to be able to corner at high speeds. I would go with the highest speed rating I could get to add to the stiffness of the sidewalls, so as the low profile sidewalls are not "squishy" in the rear end providing tire sway when towing a load (potentially leading you into an accident). Realize, you are not going to be able to run 70+psi in these tires either. There are those on the board with oversized rims and low profile tires that tow with this setup. Hopefully they will chime in.

I wanted my truck to be all about off road, so I went with wider rims and bigger, taller, wider tires.

Sean 12-04-2002 03:32 PM

WD,
I recall seeing on one of those import cars shows that putting wheels that big on anything will adversely affect braking and you'll need to get larger disks and calipers...not sure how true it is, but something you may wnat to research.

Sean

birdog 12-04-2002 03:33 PM

what would "I" pay for 22 inch wheels ?

$ 0 :D

Scooter 12-04-2002 03:36 PM

it will ride alot rougher by far, but look better and make sure the rims can handle the load rating or they may crack, even through the tires can handle it.

my 2 cents

WHITE-DIAMONDS 12-04-2002 03:41 PM

Thanks for the input Brian, the specs for the tires are:

size & load rating - 305/40VR22 114V XL
speed rating - VR
max load - 2601lbs.
max press. - 50psi
tread depth - 10/32nds
height of tire - 31.8"

rainmn 12-04-2002 03:43 PM

I've got the same truck as you, and I wouldn't buy them. For the most part, it's simply because I don't like the looks of lo-pro tires on 4x4's. Guess I don't have any pimp in me.
I'll take a set of Welds with 35"s for mine (In my dreams, when my 5 ft. tall wife no longer drives it :D )
What happens when you smack a good pothole with the truck? Dented rim and blown tire = $1K.
Entire set of stock rims and tires = 400-500 bucks at most on e-bay.

WHITE-DIAMONDS 12-04-2002 03:59 PM

I don't recall the load rating on the Welds, but these Oasis wheels are rated at 3300lbs. per wheel. They are designed for large SUV applications.

I don't know if I have enough "pimp" in me to mount these wheels on my truck, but I have the opportunity to get a hell of a deal on them......................that is why I might just end up selling them and make a little cash.

WHITE-DIAMONDS