Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help planning a trip to LOTO next season. >

Help planning a trip to LOTO next season.

Notices

Help planning a trip to LOTO next season.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help planning a trip to LOTO next season.

I will be coming from New York and thinking about the July 4th time frame. Just looking for some advice on places to stay with docks, good bars to check out, and places to launch my boat. The date is not set in stone, so I am also open to suggestions for the best time to the visit the lake. I will probably be staying for 4 days and will be going to Party Cove - so I'm guessing I will need lodging that is in the vicinity of Party Cove? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:19 AM
rerun

I too would like to make a trip out there this season. But know nothing about it. Any info would be a big help......trailer the boat or rent a house boat?????

Old 12-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

the lake is like a big river the bagnell dam is the beginning of the lake mile marker 0 the lake is approx. 90 mile long although only 60-70 of it is usefull, must all of the action takes place between the 4 mile marker and the 31 mile marker with the exception of big dicks bar at the 44/45 mile marker. the party cove is at the 19 mile marker actually its up in a finger of the lake called the grand glaze arm about 3-4 miles so if you were wanting to be around the action try to find lodging around the 17-22 mile marker. 4th of july is the big weekend gets crazy there are condos and home and lodges for rent all over you shouldnt have a problem find a place to stay you will need to book in advance for the 4th . good luck.
later
dave
Old 12-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

the closest place to stay near Party Cove is Lazy Days resort. If you broke down you could paddle your self home from there! Theres also a public launch right around the corner too....but they have their own on site with a gated trailer parking as well.
The only thing i dont like about the area is even though the rsort and the launch ar almost right next to each other you may end up driving some 15-20 min to get from one or the other!.....or visa-versa. One place i found was right off the main stip near the dam....like a 5 min ride into town......but only a 24 mile ride by boat to the cove!!! ....and imagine my rage when we blew an engine leaving the cove and had to limp home at 6mph for close to 4 hrs!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple questions:
How many in your group?
Are you bringing a boat. If so, what size.
Do you want to do things other than boating, ie golf.
How long are you staying? Weekdays?
Bringing the wife? Beer drinking buds? Kids?
Gary
Old 12-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We always stay at Tan Tara resort, they have a nice launch a dock facilities and the resort is nice to have on a bad weather day. It is just around the corner from Shooters and not a bad little ride to the cove.

We always go for the 4th of July weekend,,, let us know if your going and where you end up staying.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be at least 2 of us, maybe 4 all together. We will be towing a baja 24 outlaw. Just a bunch of guys getting together to do some boating, checking out the sights, drinking beer, and checking out the bar/restaurants on the lake. No golfing, etc. Probably plain on arriving on a Thursday and depart on a Sunday. I would like to stay at a place that has it's own launch without much waiting/hassle to launch/load the boat. Given that I have never been to the lake, I'm worried about getting back to my dock at the end of the day. Thanks for the info so far - keep it coming!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recomend Lazy Days, their ramp is adequate for your boat and they actually have a lot to park your trailer in, many don't. It's very close to PC but you are just around the corner from many of the popular bars and resturants. It also has good access off 54, not to hilly or narrow. Also you are only about a mile off of highyway 54 which is the main drag.

Good resturants are the Pasta House, Potted Steer, Blue Heron, J Bruners, JB Hooks. These all are by car places and within a 15 minute drive from lazy days. On the water is shooters 21, Horney Toad, Topsiders, backwater Jacks, Salty Dog, are all within a 20 minute boat ride from Lazy Days.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big lodges like Tan Tar A and the Lodge have a lot of stuff to do if your not boating. You can Email the Chaber of Commerce for a listing of lodges between the 14 and 22mm and on the Grand Glaize arm. Many of the smaller lodges will be cheaper, and have docks that are off the main channel (important), and your room will be closer to the water (Those who have stayed at the Inn at the Grand Glaize will tell you that's inmportant). A covered 24' slip should not be a problem. Lazy Days was mentioned earlier, not a bad choice. You may not want to go too far beyond those mile markers, a long ride will wear you out in a small boat in the daytime. And there's a 35mph speed limit at night. The 1:30 AM trips get long.
Forget about ramps at most of the hotels. Most are very steep, narrow, in bad condition, and may not have much trailer parking. Launch at PB2, lock and leave your trailer there.
Friday night, Topsiders. Saturday night, Shooters. Get there very early on a holiday weekend. Slips will be full by 8:30. Forget about driving a car on the holidays. You cant get to the popular bars. Hell, you cant get ANYWHERE on 54 on the holidays.
Restaraunts: Backwater Jacks (just sold, not sure on its status), Dorseys (VERY good), Salty Dog (good food/drinks, rough water docks), Paradise for breakfast. All between 24 and 14mm. The 7 mile complex (Horny Toad) is worth a trip too.
Party Cove should keep you busy on the weekend days.
That should keep you busy.
Gary
Old 12-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

spken like a true lake veteran! good avice GA, but you forgot about the GQ and the Eclipse????

Quick Reply: Help planning a trip to LOTO next season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.