Need suggestions .. remote car starters

Notices

Need suggestions .. remote car starters

Old 12-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need suggestions .. remote car starters

Want to buy a few remote car starters for some folks for Xmas. Does anyone have some suggestions as to good ones, ones to stay away from etc....

Do not need an alarm one.....strictly remote start.

If it matters these would be for 2001-2002 GM Tahoes.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2002, 09:39 AM
GeoGraphics INC

I have a Clifford on my F 350 Diesel It starts from 1/4 mile away.

Old 12-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been out of the business for quite a while now, but back when I was in it, Clifford was the best. Most expensive too, but the only brand I ever put in any of my own cars.
Things may have changed, and I'm sure there are decent remote starts for less money, but you're probably still safe with Clifford.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looking at alot as well for my Tahoe. The ones I commonly see out there are Bull Dog and Valet. Stores around Tulsa want $170 to $230 to install them. I have seen a Bull Dog in Summit catalog that says it comes with a quick connect T harness for installation. I havent talked to them yet to actually see how easy it is. I will keep checking, let me know if you hear anything.

FINMAN
Old 12-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Registered

I put a Bulldog in my 94 Toyota PU. It didn't have th T-harness but was easy to install. Doesn't have near the range that the clifford does. Even with the remote antena I'm lucky to see 400'.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Registered

There are many differing opinions on what is best. I can help any OSO member make the right decision and provide the best price and wiring guide specific to your vehicle from experience. My statistic on what works best is from being in the business over twenty years and effectively installed over 43,000 systems to date. There is some info at my website, www.buzz-off.com
Clifford declared bancrupcy two years ago. DEI, the Viper people now own the trademark rights to the name Clifford. Setting that aside, the best systems are definitely not Bulldog. Viper is by far the best and thru the end of the year, I can offer OSO private deals at very low prices. Visit www.directed.com See if you prefer a Viper 550 which is remote start and security or just remote start. THey also offer a model with vibrating pager in remote with two way verification.

Feel free to call me with any questions or assistance at (813)882-8477 between 9 and 6. Additionally, if anyone is looking for Rockford Fosgate or many other name brand first quality amps or speakers we are offering unheard of pricing thru the end of the year. Most deals are at dealer cost.

Look forward to helping many out.

Andy Buzz
Old 12-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys thanks for the advice.....

Andy, I'll send you an e-mail/PM on Monday to see what you have available.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy is RIGHT ON THE MONEY with the DEI units. They have external relays, are a little harder to put in HOWEVER they just plain always WORK.

Jon
Old 12-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

It DOES matter that you are installing on a 2000 or newer Tahoe. The 00 and newer ones require a unit that will interface with the factory security system and engine computer.

I also have a Clifford unit that has proven very reliable. Cost was around $300 installed, but also includes several unique features:

The main one is that you can program the unit for auto start whenever temperature inside the truck reaches a preset max or min for 10 minutes (to cool or heat the truck). This feature is enabled with a certain button sequence from the remote when the system is armed. Truck usually starts every hour or so in 15 degree cold.
(I use this when I park at football stadiums when it is cold - truck is usually ready to put out heat from the heater almost immediately when we get to it).

When pricing other units be sure they are including any necessary relays and add-on boxes for the 00 up GMs.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:10 AM
Registered

mcollinstn, same deal for 00 Sierra as 00 and newer Tahoe?

That auto start sounds pretty cool since you said there is a switch to turn that feature on and off.

Andy, I will send you a PM/email before the year ends.

Man......Board members never cease to amaze me. There is so many knowledgeable here.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions .. remote car starters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.