Notices

Was Power Boat right

Old 11-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Was Power Boat right

Miss Budwieser is on the cover for winning the Shootout. The Red Boat should not have run at all. The Red Boat entered as an exhibition boat and entered to run only after their other Anhauser Busch sponsored boat was beaten. Now the Red Boat is on the record for 192mph, winning by over 20mph. This is bull, Power Boat knows this and so does Budwieser, they should have taken the higher road and put Callan on the cover
Old 11-21-2002, 12:29 PM
packinair

I would have liked to seemn them on the cover as well, however unfair the bud boat did "win" and the winner was promiced the cover.. I have lost all respect for that team.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

What were the rules? No turbines? Not. Must have two engines? Must do the run in a two foot chop?

They were the fastest right?
Old 11-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

General Consensus is that Bud was Wrong, Callen should have won, and Anheiser Busch has no business putting up a multimillion dollar, corporate-sponsored, professional race hydroplane up against the other privately owned boats.

Also, August A. Busch is an arrogent prick(Read his comments in the latest powerboat).

Not one letter was recieved by powerboat in Bud's favor.

I agree.

Discussed at length below:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=36632

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=31756

Last edited by Baja Daze; 11-21-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Ron P on this one. The only question is DID THEY FALLOW THE RULES???? If they did then don't be mad at them, hope that next year they rule book will change. I do not fall for the multi million dollar sponsorship excuse either. Some of the cats that own these cats are NOT hurting for money . Was it fair??? Probably not, but if they fallowed the rules......then what is the beef???

Jon
Old 11-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Bud should have stayed out of the run. It is a BS win.

although, I am not so upset that I will stop consuming thier product

The shoot out was not intended for that kind of baloney
Old 11-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

I guess my beef is this... Mr. Red Boat comes as an exhibition boat only, never intending to race. All other entrants come from long distances with a pretty clear understanding of what their competition is. Then when Bicardi loses Bud steps in. Who would have run knowing Bud was running. Bacardi and their sponsors should have taken their loss like men and come back next year with their own turbine powered cat. I firmly believe the spirit of the shootout has changed forever

PS: I realize this topic has been discused before but I get my Power Boat later than most
Old 11-21-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered

I think it was unfair for Miss Bud to enter and win. To make it up to us Powerboat magazine readers I think we should get free Anheiser-Busch prducts for a month....no, wait... a year. That's it... a year!!!! Let the good times roll!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

You know I don't like the Miss Bud run either. However the rules must have allowed it to be eligable for the competion. Personnally I don't think there should be turbine powered boats competing against piston boats. I did not like one of our local engine builders, Sterling, being put on the trailer by a boat, (Callen) powered by turbine air craft engines. Why not bring fu*%#@ing rocket boats? Budweiser's thought was if you are going to bring turbines to the event, then ok, we got a turbine too! Do I like it, NO, but whats fair for one is fair for all.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Point being: Callen knew that Bacardi was running and Bacardi knew that Callen was running...They both prepared accordingly.

If some boats, such as Callen, would have known that the 192.mph-in-a-1-mile-from-a-standing-stop-Hydroplane was running, they might not have wasted the time and expense making the trip.

Quick Reply: Was Power Boat right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.