Notices

Hp500efi Kit

Old 12-18-2002, 09:02 PM
DONZITOM

Thumbs up Hp500efi Kit

Anyone installed the Arizona Speed and Marine kit for the 500efi
Supose to add 40 horsepower with Throttle body, MSD box, and reprogram the ECM?????

Old 12-19-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about it, but never actually ordered it.

I would love to hear from someone who has???
Old 12-19-2002, 01:52 PM
liquid lounge

Save your cash...a "40 HP gain" just isn't true. Do you really think Merc would cork that motor with too small a throttle body when they could have tamed down the cam lobe profiles resulting in less warranty claims? I think you would be lucky to gain anything. The only thing that throttle body is good for is some higher flowing heads, more lift on the cam[if you would even want that]...as far as cam duration goes, that motor is pretty much maxed out for that F/I setup.

Old 12-19-2002, 02:56 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Hey Tom,

I'm with 27 Fountain on this one, I don't think you will see much for your money from what I have heard.

I did however put their billet filter units on my 500's, and they really look GREAT.

Merry Christmas
Mark
Old 12-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DonziTom,

I have the setup installed on a 502/502 crate motor. In addition, I have Merlin heads, Gil headers, and 1.7 roller rockers. I have been having some problems. During the first couple of hours of break-in, I broke a rocker stud and bent two pushrods. The mechanic that did the setup was no longer available due to health reasons, so I took the boat into a Mercruise mechanic for the evaluation and repair. The first mechanic miscalculated the exhaust rod length - oops! - and re-installed the stock valve covers with a cheater double cork gasket - double o-u-c-h! The Mercruise mechanic completed the repairs and in the tune-up, I could not convince him that the base timing of 16 was by the book. He really wanted to revert to the stock setup of 8 - so its at 8. You probably think that I am rambling at this point, but the real just of the story is that right now I am probability running just a little under stock horsepower (mostly based on the way the boat performs). I am just like every other horsepower scrappy, I really like shopping for those bolt-on’s!

There was a very interesting recent thread about installing a reprogrammed ECM. The feedback that I am incline to agree with is that the finished product should be put on a dyno and tweaked. I believe that I would have saved money and certainly been happier with the results. The dyno probably would have popped the top end saving me that very embarrassing tow-in from the tooner (that’s Indianapolis performance slang for pontoon boat). I also would have heard the top end noise and seen the oil weep from the valve cover problem.

Andy

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...eferrerid=7189
Old 12-20-2002, 09:38 PM
DONZITOM

Default reply

I guess they havent sold many of these yet

Old 12-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shute DonziTom,

I don't want to talk you out of a idea. I just wanted you to think a little deeper on the subject. We all need to come up with a dream and pursue it. Just up the ante a little to make sure that it is right.

Andy
Old 12-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Bad Kittie

I just installed these kit's on my 33' Daytona and was only out once with it. I could not open it up all the way yet because I am breaking in new lower gear sets on the drives. I will tell you that I have noticed a big difference so far in the midrange. Everyone say's the boat sounds totally different. I will post my results when I open it up, but I think so far it was a good move.

Old 12-21-2002, 01:59 PM

Thanks BadKittie,

Can't wait to hear results

Will
Old 12-22-2002, 06:10 PM
DONZITOM

Bad Kittie

Did you install the kit and the throttle body??

Quick Reply: Hp500efi Kit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.