If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is your annual insurance premium?

160. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0-$400

14 8.75%
  • $401-$750

41 25.63%
  • $751-$1000

25 15.63%
  • $1001-$1500

25 15.63%
  • $1501-$2000

22 13.75%
  • $2001-$3000

16 10.00%
  • $3001 or more

17 10.63%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    Lafayette, IN
    Currently pay $550/yr for the 27'.
    Priced out a 32' at $778/yr.
    Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

I was recently notified that my insurance on the Fountain that is with the Fireman's Fund through Worldwide Marine is not renewable. My policy expires the end of January and that company is no longer handling Hi-Pro boats. Worldwide has other sources, but at this point I am going to shop around. What are the details on the Company that underwrote the Batboat for $750, maybe just a contact and tel #. I think we need to talk turkey, that sounds cheap. Midnight

My Boats:
    2005 Cobalt 250
    Gilbert, Arizona
    2003 Active Thunder 37 AVH, 496HOS, Sy Golberg at Total Dollar, $3,500, no layup.
    Last edited by ToddW; 12-09-2002 at 04:46 PM.

Charter Member Charter Member 32fever's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37 Outerlimits & PowerPlay 185
    Granger, IN
    What company is that? ACE is one that Worldwide quoted me on, and Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar also can do. I don't think it would be ACE, would it? Haven't heard anything like that, unless it was within the last hour, and from what I hear is going on in the insurance biz, that might be the case!

Charter Member Charter Member 32fever's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37 Outerlimits & PowerPlay 185
    Granger, IN
    Originally posted by 46tomcat
    just to make everyone feel like they get a great deal on ins mines 12000 so cheer up and merrychristmas
    Yeah, but you're a "wildman" Merry Christmas.....I bet you get some sweet chocolates from your agent

My Boats:
    2000, BatBoat B24
    San Diego, CA
    What are the details on the Company that underwrote the Batboat for $750, maybe just a contact and tel #.
    American National Insurance
    Javier S. Magdaleno

9625 Black Mountain Road
    Suite 210
    San Diego, CA 92126

(858) 566-8555

[email protected]

They have been around since 1906, AAAAAAA+++ rated or whatever the hell it is. I guess one less plus is like a D.

$80,000 value - $679 a year
    $300,000 liability $101
    Medical $5,000 each $11
    Total $791

They also cover my car, house and business and have a $1,000,000 umbrella that ups all the liability coverage for $143 a year. Car and house were about the same as my old Farmer's policy for 1.5 times the coverage.

I don't know **** about it and hope mine is great, but nobody else would even talk to me so bad coverage is better than none I hope.

I told him to join OSO and explain what they are about, but I think he is afraid to since he is not very internet savvy and does not want to make waves on OSO.

My Boats:
    1997 Fountain 35 Lightning
    beaumont tx
    Well insurance prices vary by your location, I called Sy Goldberg and he would not even cover me just because I live in a high risk area{near the gulf of mexico} I have perfect credit, no claims on any insurance, car, home or boat, my little h2x is 669.00 a year, no lay up, I called around on bids for a 1997 baja 29 outlaw, progressive was 1910.00 a year no lay up and PMA could save me around 300.00 off that if I layed it up for 2 months, if I moved to Austin it would cut in half

I don't have the years in the business that Risk Taker does, but I am a commercial agent, as well as a waterborne adrenaline junkie.

The insurance business, just like the economy, is cyclical. Right now, it is tightening, and all of the carriers are raising the bar (read "premiums") ACROSS THE BOARD. It will ease up again, but it may be some time from now, and may NEVER back down to the rates we had enjoyed in recent years.

The fact is, that when the carriers were making fortunes in the market, they could afford to "give" away coverage, and not get hurt.

With returns lagging, they now have to fall back on premiums to operate profitably (after all, they are in business to make a profit).

To further complicate things, many underwriters are pulling out of markets that push they may consider slightly higher risk.

As a result, many of us, no matter how sober or safe operators we may be, get painted with a broad brush swung by a person looking at a computer screen.

I'm not saying that insurance companies are angels or villains.

It will be a challenge to insure our boats, particularly when 60 MPH is the cutoff used by many carriers. THose who will write you will probably charge accordingly.

By the way, I suggest, while shopping, etc, that you learn from 27FOuntain's hard lesson: focus as heavily (if not more) on your liability, as you would on the value of your property.

As 27Fountain has seen first hand, when Johnny Cochrane gets the phone call from the injured party, the fiberglass repair is gonna look like chump change.

My Boats:
    95 Formula 336, HP500's
    Lake St. Clair
    My boat insurance is reasonable at around 680/yr for an 89 Formula 272 thru allstate. My big problem with insurance companies hit me Friday with my new homeowners policy. Last year it went up from 551 to 690 per year and I was shocked by the 20%+ increase. New bill is for, get this...$1370. What the F***?? They say in their "We appreciate your business" BS letter that it's because of increases in building materials and weather related claims. We are coming off 2 of the mildest winters I can recall, I don't even remember the last ice storm we've had. And if they can show me that an AC unit, bundle of shingles, 2X4 or sheet of plywood costs 2X what it did last year, I'll eat my hat. Blood sucking Bastages

Risk Taker

I thought you would see that . Just bust'in your chops.
    But seriuosly, I have been with Risk Taker for going on four years now and am very happy with coverage, service, explanation of coverage, rates, etc. I think that anyone shopping for insurance should contact you for coverage.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast