Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing with a lifted truck..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38569-towing-lifted-truck.html)

SummerObsession 12-10-2002 09:23 AM

Thanks fever: We do have a fair amount of wind in my part of the world, so that is a consideration as well.
I was thinking I might want to look at a dually and a small lift if I am going to tow lots of miles.

thisistank 12-10-2002 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Fever500

Anyway... to answer your question... I flew out to Havasu for Labor Day and rented a boat instead of towing agin!!

http://www.division19.com/images/boat/truckboat02.jpg

Fever 500.

Bro, next time get ahold of one of us in SCOPE, we can work out some room in one of the boats. We're ALWAYS taking on people from the board/back east. Don't be shy to speak up and say you're coming out to Havasu. If one of us is there, you're sure to have a ride on a decent boat;) :D

Tank

Fever500 12-10-2002 10:10 AM

Thanks Tank.. I will keep that in mind for Memorial Day 2003!!

cigarette1 12-10-2002 10:16 AM

Originally posted by thisistank
Fever 500.

Bro, next time get ahold of one of us in SCOPE, we can work out some room in one of the boats. We're ALWAYS taking on people from the board/back east. Don't be shy to speak up and say you're coming out to Havasu. If one of us is there, you're sure to have a ride on a decent boat;) :D

Tank

Same goes for Lake Pacific :cool:

mcollinstn 12-10-2002 11:06 AM

I read many of the replies but skipped on to the end so I may be redundant.

With the lift you describe, you will #1 raise the truck's center of gravity and roll center dramatically. This alone will make the truck less stable.

Second, the braced drop hitch is required, but keep in mind that when cornering, the tongue load will push the hitch in a manner to cause the truck to roll "into" the corner instead of "away" from the corner. This is because the point of application of load is below the roll center (a lot below it). While this will feel pretty cool in normal driving (sorta like a boat or bike leaning into a curve), in a cornering situation where traction is sketchy, the vehicle will not know how to react.

Whatever lift mfr you use, ladder bars will be an absolute MUST, to keep the rear axle from wrapping under load. Gearing should approximate the stock gearing (shoot for the same cruise RPM). I doubt that you will find low enough gearing to accomplish this.

Plan on losing a lot of torque converters if you can't approximate the stock cruise RPM. The starting load on a tall-effective geared rig will destroy a TC.

Axle shafts must be upgraded to aftermarket ones (Mark Williams or similar). Otherwise the torque will twist them in short order running huge tires with a TG behind.

Huge bias (or even radials for that matter) will cause the truck to wander uncomfortably with much of a load.

With that said - weigh the options and make your own decisions.

My vote is: lift the truck and find a friend who has a diesel 1-ton you can borrow when you need it...

SummerObsession 12-10-2002 11:30 AM

mcollinstn:
I agree withyour assessment. I have found out the truck has a 11" lift with 37" tires. BFG load range D radials, I was told. They may have better tires out by now, I'm not sure.
The lift was done with ladder bars. I am told this guy knows his stuff. He is putting together a bid to fax me with all the components listed. His instructions were to come up withthe best possible combo for towing a 38 Top Gun. He is familiar with the length and weight of the unit, so we will see.

CJC 12-10-2002 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lift kits, tires, wheels, suspension??????

Sorry guys, can't resist any longer........

:D :D

bikinilover 12-10-2002 12:41 PM

While we are on the subject, I am thinking of buying an 01 Ford F250 PSD with an 8" Skyjacker Lift and 38" tires. I tow a 2002 25 Outlaw. The boat and trailer weighs about 6000 lbs. Do you think I will have any problems towing this with this set up. It is not a 38 TG by far.

thisistank 12-10-2002 12:56 PM

Originally posted by bikinilover
While we are on the subject, I am thinking of buying an 01 Ford F250 PSD with an 8" Skyjacker Lift and 38" tires. I tow a 2002 25 Outlaw. The boat and trailer weighs about 6000 lbs. Do you think I will have any problems towing this with this set up. It is not a 38 TG by far.
No............I posted a pic of my rig up top...similar set up. You wont have any probs;)

bikinilover 12-10-2002 01:01 PM

Thisistank,

What kind of drop reciever do you have? Does it have supports that go back up to the truck, like the pic of the truck from the SEMA show.