Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing with a lifted truck..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38569-towing-lifted-truck.html)

thisistank 12-10-2002 01:10 PM

No, I just have the regular drop reciever, no supports. It's like a 15" drop. I dont really have any problems with sway too bad or the boat pushing me. My suburban stops better w/ the trailer than w/out!! I need to plan my day when stopping:D :D

onesloryd 12-10-2002 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tow with a Excursion that has a 13" lift and 38" tires with no problems. The hitch is a custom 15k lbs with a custom drop. I also have been running the strut similar to the one a SEMA for over a year now.

FunHome 12-10-2002 02:29 PM

I use to tow with a lifted Suburban. It had a ton of sway at highway speeds and that got old fast!! Don't get me wrong you can pull with a lifted truck it's just by the time you get there you will be worn out from driving your ass off!! The first time I towed with my dually I couldn't believe how much easier it was!! I could actually take one hand off the wheel long enough to change the radio!! Also, instead of driving my ass off at 60mph I could relax and drive at 70mph.

I would go with a mild lifted Dually if your really set on a lift at all.

Also someone brought up a good point, WIND!! As you know here in Kansas it get's a little breezy at times!!

Good Luck!!
What happened to the AWSOME Tow R/V built on a semi you had for sell? I would buy a truck for everyday and pull with that thing!!!

Aqua-Holic 12-10-2002 02:56 PM

onesloryd,
Is that the PSD? Man that is sweet!

SummerObsession 12-10-2002 03:18 PM

FunHome: That truck is for sale still. Last deal didn't work out and I didn't have time to mess with it.
It would be a great tow vehicle, but I don't tow enough miles to have something that big. Usually I need to drive around a bunch when I arrive. Plus, hotel have room service and bars!!

SummerObsession 12-10-2002 03:20 PM

Here is the pic to refresh your memory:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...c00055-med.jpg

skygod 12-10-2002 04:45 PM

I have a 2001 PSD Excursion Limited w/a 6" lift and 35's. I tow a 29 Baja Outlaw that weighs around 8K loaded. My X tows it fine, a little more wander, but nothing bad. Braking will take longer with any lifted truck. Regearing is always good with 35's or larger, not as critical with diesels unless you get up to 37's. You will recoup some of the gas mileage you lose with larger tires. Ladder bars are a good idea. I have been driving lifted trucks for 12 years, 2 Dodges, 2 GMCs, 3 Fords, and I think you are asking for trouble with that much lift for that size/weight boat.
Good luck.
P.S. DO NOT run the air pressure low or you will blow the tires due to excessive heat under load.

bikinilover 12-11-2002 08:41 AM

Well I drove the truck last night. It has 38" Super Swampers with 8" lift. When the truck is rolling slowly I can feel every knobby on the tire as it is rolling on the pavement. Is this normal? They are also very noisy.

If I purchase the truck the tires will have to go. Any suggestions on a not so agressive 37" to 38" radial tire?

rainmn 12-11-2002 08:59 AM

I don't know if there are "New" Super Swampers, but I had a truck with them years ago in 36". For a daily driver, they sucked. Noisy as hell, rode like crap, and yes, at slow speeds you felt every lug. Swapped them out for 35" BFG's, and it made a world of difference.

SummerObsession 12-11-2002 09:01 AM

OK, I finally got some more info on the proposed truck, so I am looking for some real detailed input here.
It is a Fabtech 8" lift, 2" body lift, Helper bags Torque tubes (ladder bars), 17" wheels, 37" BFG Mud terrains (load range D)' on a new Duramax 2500 HD 4x4 with Allison tranny and a chip (bullydog, etc.)

I am still thinking with the proper hitch and some caution, this thing would tow just fine, although I should be prepared for a bit more wander.
Does anyone have any dually ideas? I have seen a few pics somewhere of a lifted dually, but I can't remember where.