Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powerboat Fountain 29' or 32' (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38622-powerboat-fountain-29-32-a.html)

DOCTOR DAVE 12-11-2002 05:48 AM

i really dont mind being at the back of the pack, its kinda peaceful back there:cool:

boomer 12-11-2002 06:46 AM

Hey Mike I didn't know they used different step heights what does that due?

RLW 12-11-2002 07:24 AM

The boat in the article has 2 small blocks. Has Fountain changed it's way of measuring their boats?

32fever 12-11-2002 11:07 AM

Originally posted by DOCTOR DAVE
i really dont mind being at the back of the pack, its kinda peaceful back there:cool:
Oh brother, it's gettin' deep in here:) If you open that thing up, you'll blow out your eardrums. LOL!

dockrocker 12-11-2002 11:12 AM

Why all the confusion? Everyone knows a 32' long Fountain is a 29' boat. It's all the damn metric system, I tell you! :)

KAAMA 12-11-2002 11:13 AM

Originally posted by 32fever
Oh brother, it's gettin' deep in here:) If you open that thing up, you'll blow out your eardrums. LOL!
Yeah Doc, those supercharged engines with those 5" DONE DRY tailpipes and no mufflers aren't exactly peaceful-----but boy do I LOVE the sound of that thing! :)

32fever 12-11-2002 11:15 AM

Kaama,
No, it's not you, Ericka wants to go faster. LOL! Women, I tell ya...

You're right, I don't care if I get beat or win or what. We know the deal. My boats hull is more efficient, needs less power to run fast, I think even you were impressed with it, and your boat (I still need a ride) will ride lots better in the nasty than mine. It's all good.

Getting spanked by some 46 Skaters in LOTO was awesome. The rooster tail in your face is cool:)

Oh, and we were running over 60 that day, quit your whinin...LOL! And you still wouldn't tell me how many rpm's you were turning to pass me, but I had full cooler, gas and 4 people on my boat and you didnt'..so.....LOL! I have my excuses too. LOL!

It's all in fun. In fact, Mark, even if we get a new to us boat this season, we may not be able to pass you anyway. But, we'll still pass 90% of the boats on the lake. NOthing like yelling BOO YAH when you smoke the guy in the Hobie Cat. LOL!

Mark

KAAMA 12-11-2002 12:35 PM

Kaama,
No, it's not you, Ericka wants to go faster. LOL! Women, I tell ya... Oh, and we were running over 60 that day, quit your whinin...LOL! And you still wouldn't tell me how many rpm's you were turning to pass me

32Fever/Mark, After all the mods, if I remember correctly I was turning about 4800rpm with 30" non labbed props with me, Buchbinder, BJ and Eric on my boat the day I scooted by you. With 4 people in the boat and about 1/2 fuel we saw 79mph on Doctor Dave's hand held GPS that day. But that's all I will tell you because the boat would run tops @5600rpm. It was during the Venetian Fest that I was able to put my boat in the water for the first time out and be able to get on plane so we were still in the testing mode. But yes, I was impressed with the speed of your boat with the power it has---no doubt! Actually Mark, a few weeks prior to the Venetian Fest we did attempt to water test it and once up on plane within 30 seconds the Port engine would lose water pressure and over heat and we could not figure out why. On a hunch we took a die grinder and ground some of the edges down on the transom mounted water pick-up, but I wasn't able to test the boat again until Venetian Fest weekend. I was so happy to finally have my boat in the water for the first time I was beside myself! I didn't care if I could only idle around in it at Venetian Fest, but it turns out that the water pick-up was the problem and I was able to remain on plane for the first time in my boat that weekend.

I'm kinda impressed with the fact that your wife is actually the one who wants a faster boat! Perhaps I did my job well then---I guess it can't be all too bad to get beaten. :) Back in 1985 when Buchbinder had his 30' 1979 Scarab with only aftermarket exhaust manifolds on otherwise stock Merc 330hp engines he raced Bob Warren's new 400hp Cyclone 38' Cigarette w/TRS drives and Bucbinder beat him good!----I was on Buchbinder's boat at the time and you could see afterwards that I think Bob was embarrassed. So then the next year Bob went out and bought what I think was one of the first Kevlar hulled Top Gun series 38' Cigarette's and had it painted EXACTLY like his prior Cig that we beat the season prior. Only this time Bob went from 400hp engines to a pair of 575hp engines and #3 Speed Master drives. But this is also when we took the 330's out of Buchbinder's boat and upgraded them to about 450hp each. Mike had went down to the Miami boat show that winter and saw Bob's new 38' Top Gun Cigarette on display in the boat show with "War Hawk" on it exactly like it was on Bob's previous Cig. Buchbinder asked a few of the Cigarette guys at the booth whose Cigarette it was and they told him it belonged to a customer in S.W. Michigan. :D Anyway, that next season Mike raced Bob again and beat him again. So Bob and his son Carl went out again and bought a 1988 41' Apache with #6 drives and Lingenfelter 850hp engines. Of course Buchbinder's 30' Scarab was no match against the Warren's new McManus built 41' Apache. They still have that boat to this day only with Merc 800 SC's in it now. Bob's son Carl always thanked us for beating his Dad because all it did was stir him up enough to keep going out and buying faster boats until Carl finally got the boat he really wanted. Those were some good times back then. :)

32fever 12-11-2002 04:14 PM

Yeah, I'm glad Mike got into cars and out of boats. LOL!

And, one of the boats we were looking at will run 75 at 3800 rpm. :D It's the damn insurance that will bankrupt us! So, I may have to slow down and let you win for a while, till I make the big bucks:)

KAAMA 12-11-2002 04:42 PM

....... till I make the big bucks:)
That's really what it all comes down to doesn't it?....how deep one's pockets are. There's going to always be someone else whose got more money to spend.