Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Nigerian funds scam? This is good... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38767-ot-nigerian-funds-scam-good.html)

dockrocker 12-12-2002 10:24 AM

OT: Nigerian funds scam? This is good...

I'm sure some of you have received e-mails about a large sum of money that must be moved out of Nigeria, Somalia, or some other remote country. And all they need is you to accept transfer of this money, and you get 30% or 40% of the millions just waiting out there. Of course, it's all a scam.

Here's one guy that had a little fun with this con artists. The page can be a little hard to read, but it's pretty funny...

http://www.haxial.com/fraud/mikeaba.html

thisistank 12-12-2002 10:56 AM

All these frickin scams on e-mail.....You've got to be a frickin LOOSER to fall for this crap. Whens the last time you've heard of someone making a fortune from an email!?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only legal get rich quick scheme is the Lotto...other than that they will land you in prison!;)

Raypanic 12-12-2002 10:59 AM

" I got a bathtub with your name on it!" Funny as hell, I wish I had the time to screw with these guys too. I get the e-mails all the time.

GregP 12-12-2002 11:53 AM

There is a formal investigation of this activity going on. If you receive these e-mails pass them on to [email protected]. Here are a few comments about their investigation.

-Greg

SCAM LETTERS FROM NIGERIA and nearby countries — often called "419 letters" and now mostly coming by email. This is a worldwide criminal enterprise and the letters have been sent to many thousands of people. (419 is a section of the Nigerian criminal law applicable to this activity.)
Typically senders say they need to transfer a large sum of money out of their country, they will deposit the money in your account as a transfer point and you get a cut, but you have to put up some of your own money first for "expenses".

The most amazing thing about all this is that many people have actually fallen for it, in the U.S. and elsewhere. Millions of dollars have been lost.

What to do when you receive a 419 letter.

The U.S. Secret Service is actively investigating this activity and there have been arrests in other countries, according the Washington Post. ... At the very least the originating email address can usually be cut off by the service provider which adds to the cost of doing business for the perpetrators.

Q: What does the 419 Coalition do with the file?
A: The emails you forward are scanned for names, email addresses, and other pertinent information that can actually locate the criminals. This data is loaded into a database that is used by law enforcement agencies worldwide to shut down 419 operators.

Q: How does the 419 Coalition shut down the criminals?
A: Because this is a worldwide problem, the 419 Coalition has established relationships with numerous internet service providers (ISP). Upon notification, ISP's normally will block service to the criminals. When criminals persevere, or actually rip off the unwary, the 419 Coalition has arrested numerous criminals worldwide, most recently in London.

Q: Why do I keep getting the same 419 letter from different email addresses? Why am I getting so many of these things?
A: The criminals barter email addresses among themselves. These lists are utilized repeatedly, without regard to response by the recipient. Even the actual email formats are copied from one criminal to another. Thus you get the same letter over and over, and get more and more scam offers.

Q: I'd like to give these people a piece of my mind. Should I write or call these people and tell them to stop?
A: Absolutely not. Responding to their email will only show there is someone actually reading their scams. By calling them directly, you are paying for a long distance call, and will be talking with a professional con artist. Not good either way.

Q: Is there some way to block or filter these things?
A: This question is best answered through your Systems administrator.

Q: Should I keep a copy of each 419 email?
A: No, delete it after forwarding it to NCIS.

Q: Should I open attachments that come with a 419?
A: Never open an attachment to a 419 email.

Q: What about 419's I get at home?
A: You should forward these directly to the 419 Coalition.

Shane 12-12-2002 12:25 PM

That was HYSTERICAL!:D :D :D

HyperBaja 12-12-2002 02:47 PM

Ive been thinking about doing that.....

Today a telemarketer called and we asked to call him back, he hung up :)

klmken 12-13-2002 08:05 PM

Who is this dloftus? I have an outstanding beef with first usa I'dlike to get off my report and sure could use some help!!
Ken

bearpaw 12-14-2002 04:30 PM

Has anyone got one of these letters from Kokor Mobutu son of the late Zaire President. This jackwad has 30 million to deposit in somebodys bank acct.

BK 12-14-2002 05:06 PM

So....
What happened to William Shatner's real wife?