Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P.    BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL  LEVEL >

NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Notices

NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Old 07-05-2001, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my little 2 cents,

Sometimes it is tough, but do it by the book or change the book.

If the boat is out of the legal range, correct it. I dont think the only reason you should be boating is to make the most noise. In the end, lowering the dB level should not ruin your enjoyment of the sport, dont let it get you down. When yourself, the HOA, and the law enforcement are satisfied that your boat is within spec, all of what you think to be harassment should stop. If it does not stop, then you have a gripe in my book, unless you undue some of the mods to achieve acceptable results (they may justify future tests because of this, they may also be surprised how loud legal really is). Remember, we all have to share the small amount of space we have and it is easy to step on others toes and have our own stepped on. Compromise is the only fair path to solution.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Registered

I really hope so that you can enjoy your boating that it turns out okay for you and your family. I really feel for you if indeed you are being singled out because some association has a h*rd on for you. The only only advice I was giving you (not knowing the what you have been going through) is that if you know you are right on the threshold that at least you know what to expect. Best of luck with this unfortunate situation
Old 07-05-2001, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly:
<STRONG>Now, if ya could pleeeeeeeeeeeeease turn off the CAPS </STRONG>
I see Bad only has 17 or so posts: Just so you know Bad, WHEN YOU HAVE THE CAPS ON IT'S THE WRITTEN EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING. Very disconcerting to this quiet and meek board.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:10 PM
Evil Twin

Can't we all just get along and go back to having fun?????

Old 07-05-2001, 04:11 PM
skatergirl

HTM I need to apoligize because the comment about the "jerk" was not meant for you, I did not know your name was Todd and I am sorry you took it that I wrote it for you, I did not however write it about you. I am sorry it was a misunderstanding. I also need to say that in your first post you did not say any specifics about them saying to single out your specific boat as you did in the later post. In the first post you basically said they have something against load boats. My husband is a lawyer and he said your only hope is your friend putting it in writing that they singled out your boat, which I hope your friend does and something gets done about that. It is not right or fair the law is the same for every person or boat however you look at it.

As for the comment about people buying cars that can go 160 mph, yes they do I know a few that own them and when they feel the need to speed and get the ticket they pay the fine and be done with it. Its that old saying you do the crime, you pay the time.

And as for the rest of you who jumped on me about the jerk thing. . . . as I said before I did not know HTM name was Todd and it wasn't meant for him. I was basically told not to post on other peoples threads without knowing the whole story yet the person that wrote that didn't know the whole story about the jerk thing but they spouted off and thats OK? Pracice what you pearch.

Old 07-05-2001, 04:19 PM
Registered

hate to drag this on, but, then who is todd, or who is the jerk?

And I did read a good reason for writing in all caps, an older gentleman said he always used caps because it is easier to read with his ailing eyes.

Its funny, the cap writing, or shouting, from a couple who are having trouble with their loud boat. Reminds me of the Sat night live skit about the family that always yelled or talked very loud. I forget which actors played the part, it was a while ago.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Just my .02,
I think everybody is friends again, I hope anyway, because we are all still powerboaters @ the end of the day, (or thread)
I think the most important part of BAD's story is the apperance that a HOA is buying their way into local selective law enforcement. That is really scarey, it's just another example of Special interest Groups influencing legislation, or in this case, law enforcement.
I think if you get your exhaust db down to the legal limit, end of problem, right?
Good luck, and sounds like your ride is a real screamer, (sorry i couldn't resist)
MD
P.S. I have Shotgun III's muffler tips on our boat and they do a real nice job taking the "Bark" out of my K.E. headers, which are REAL LOUD. Good luck.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Dean Ferry ]
Old 07-05-2001, 05:39 PM
Allan4

Wow, we are really on a role. I want everyone to list the ten things they most hate about other boaters........HAHAHA!! Good to see that the folks on the board can become aggrivated and then end the discussion on a calm, respectable manor. I hope all apologies are accepted. It's human to disagree. Happy Boating all.....!!

Old 07-06-2001, 04:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by HavasuCat:
<STRONG>I agree with troutly....no need for the attitude. And buy the way law enforcement does not pay as bad as you think. I have several friends that are cops that make six figures with the overtime. As far as being "afraid", when was the last time you were attacked, shot at ect..while working. Show some respect.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: HavasuCat ]</STRONG>
I agree with HavasuCat. First of all, I am not a Cop, but I have alot of "Cop" friends and their jobs are tremendously stressful. You can't even imagine how tough it can be, if you don't think so, go for a ride along someday, ALl DAY with a cop. How would you feel pulling someone over in the middle of the night(or daytime) and wonder if that person has bad intentions(a gun, knife...) or whatever the case may be. How would you feel with a weapon pointed at you? Have you ever been shot at? Do you know what it's like to have grenades thrown at you??(When I was over in the Gulf after the war, we (Marines) were shot at all the time-- not exactly fun) These are all possible scenarios of a "cops" daily workday, ok, it also depends on where you live. I think we need to show a litle respect to the "cops" (and all other professionals that make our life better and safer)
And for your info, "Cops" make a pretty good living these days. If you don't think so, you are clueless. I have alot of "cop" (also firefighters)friends that actually do make $100K a year!(with overtime)
I know when you (we all do) get a ticket we usualy "hate" cops in general, but they are usualy just doing their jobs.
BadHTM, I think that you are being harrased in some sort of way, so just do what is required to get you "legal" and they have no justification to harass you anymore.. Just play their game so you can enjoy your quality boating time once again. It is obviously the wealthy people (buying the new Sherif boat and fuel)that are putting the presure on the police to harass you, so if you are gonna get payback, get them!! The video camera idea was a good one, so next time you get harrassed, if the officer is rude or screws up, you have the proof. I also think that your friend who is on the board should step up to the plate for you, because from what your wife posted earlier, you are being targeted. Good luck
One more thing, remember to keep a positive attitude about this situation, because if you have a bad attitude(i'm not saying you do), its not going to help you at all.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Semper Fi ]
Old 07-06-2001, 06:09 AM
HUFFPOWER

maybe you could make the first move and just talk to him in a calm demeanor,one on one and find out why he has an issue with your boat?if its past that point of a compromise then you already know it'll be a legal issue,one of which you will probably lose,due to the type of neighbors you seem to have,or you could just lay low for awhile and possibly boat another lake till things cool out,hope it works out.

Quick Reply: NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.