Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blueprinting hulls (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38919-blueprinting-hulls.html)

ViciousOne 12-14-2002 06:09 PM

We just took the hook out of a 1998 25' outlaw boat picked up 6 mph on the customers GPS, We charged him 2500.00 to do the last 5' of the boat , He was so happy with the increase he paid in good old green cash!!! where putting a Pro chager on it now ! Where hoping the lake opens back up so we can test again.

martiniboat 12-15-2002 04:10 PM

I have a 1978 Martini that was moulded with a hook of about .562" measured over 4'. After I blueprinted the bottom I was finally able to "free" the hull from the water and really light it up!

P.S. I've logged many hours refinishing boats and especially doing one-off customizations. I'd be happy to give you any advice if you would like. Just drop me an e-mail.

[email protected]

RAFT007 12-15-2002 06:08 PM

Thats what is happening,the outer port side stringer is cracking,
to the point when I put boat back on trailer water runs out for a
few days after.what do you think?

Pete B 12-15-2002 11:41 PM

sounds like a much bigger problem than just needing the boat blueprinted. :(

ThirdBird 12-16-2002 12:08 AM

I guess this sounds a little stupid to you guys who know all of this stuff, but I'm not famaliar with hull blueprinting. Does it involve actually sanding the gel off to some degree and adding gel elsewhere to attain as smooth a surface as posiible? Please explain so I might be a little less ignorant in the future. Thanks :o

Pete B 12-16-2002 04:31 AM

it depends on the hull, but when you flip a boat over and use a straight edge along the botton there are high and low spots not seen as well by the eye. filling and sanding until area is true, chines made sharp. there can be a lot of sanding required.

Cincinnati Race 12-16-2002 07:25 AM

A lot of sanding... like weeks and weeks worth. Then respray gel and buff for a few days.

Ratchet 12-16-2002 09:26 AM

Never had this done, but I've heard that on some boats. like others stated, it can hurt, more than help you. One guy in the Michigan area had his 38 scarab done, and said the handling sucked afterwards.

I'm not saying it's all bad...........I guess like anything else, it's in the hands of the PERSON, not the company doing it. Just do a little homework. Like others illuded to, it's different for all boats.

If I was ever to do this, I'd see if I could find someone with the same boat & get their input.

Ratchet

lukiepal 12-16-2002 11:00 AM

it was my avanti that picked up 15 mph and not only from the bottom put also going from 365 hp to 725 hp. with the increase in hp the boat ran the same speed as the 454 until the bottom was done.

jpclear 12-16-2002 03:45 PM

I put lots of HP in my '77 Martini and basicly got lousy handling and practically no more speed. Then flipped boat, transom notched, and blueptinted (took all hook out) the hull riased "X" dimension and went from high 50's to low 80's with literally "hands-off" steering in the high 70's with stock steering. Don't worry guys, at that kind of speed a good hyd. system will go on before the ice is off even if there seems to be no wear or strain. --- Jer