OT-Need Internet Guru Help >

OT-Need Internet Guru Help

Notices

OT-Need Internet Guru Help

Old 12-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-Need Internet Guru Help

Need some IP guru help. I have a company web site set up with a ISP. Say name is "www.mycompany.com". I am wanting to set a server up with a name of say "turbojack.mycompany.com". How do I go about doing this? Do I need to register another name.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant help you here.. I think you need to get a new name???
I was wondering if you got your new heads yet and any flow work done yet???

Dick
Old 12-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sub domain

yur ISP has to give a package that allows subdomains. The DNS address of the sub domain will go to your server Check out Linkstream
Old 12-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered

No subdomain necessary. Have your registrar add a DNS (domain name server) "A" record for "turbojack.mycompany.com" pointing to the IP address of your server. That's it.

Steve
Old 12-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Registered

Yes I did get my heads. All I have had time for is to look at them. Hopefully I will get my merlins VR's off this weekend & going to take both pairs to have flowed to see the difference.

Donzi-thanks
Old 12-17-2002, 06:09 AM
Registered

Been doing some studing & see I did not give enough information. I have website mycompany.com hosted by isp A, the office where I want to have this new web server is with isp B. I am wanting to have turbojack.mycompany.com at our office (isp B). In reading DNS101, I see that our mycompany.com is directed to the DNS server at ISP A, From what I can see, isp A are the ones to make the record "turbojack.mycompany.com" on their DNS & direct it to my new IP number. I called them & they did not have a clue what I was talking about. Am I correct in thinking if I came up with a new domain name I would have to have a DNS to host it the record? If so where do I find someone to do that? Am I looking at this correct?
Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 AM
Registered

I believe (I'm no expert) you’ll need a redirect and another domain name register.

What’s wrong with www.companyname.com/turbojack the browser will then look for /index.html within the turbojack folder. Then have the index.html page “contain” content from your other server as well as links to there also.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

D_Casten- Good idea I will try it. What started this problem is at office we use novell & one program I am trying to use wants to use the name "turbojack.mycompany.com" in the url. I keep trying to get it to use the IP address but it wants to keep going back to the name instead of IP. I first thought it would be easier to just get name.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

All DNS records are hosted for a given domain name together. The machines specified in the entries however do not have to belong to the same ISP. For example www.mycompany.com could be one machine on ISP #1 and xyz.mycompany.com could be a machine on ISP #2. The "A" records recorded in the DNS would just indicate an IP address from a different ISP. If you are using a server with other websites than your DNS host would have to put a forward to the web site such as turbojack.mycompany.com > www.isp2.com/~turbojack. BTW a source of confusion is the www in a webaddress there is nothing that says you have to use www, it just has become a bit of a default.