Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Unemployment (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/38992-unemployment.html)

Just Say N2O 12-15-2002 08:15 PM

2 years ago I was "restructured" out of my job with Kodak-Polychrome Graphics after 23 years. The last full year working, I earned $123,000. Living in Michigan, that qualified me for the $300/week maximum benefit. Yeah, like that will work. You do what you have to do. Good luck. A positive attitude will accomplish miracles.

Tinkerer 12-15-2002 08:53 PM

After 20 years of working at this place ( where I work ) I am contemplating starting my own business. Three years ago they told me I no longer needed to be on call. It is a nightmare. Two weeks ago they just put me back on call with no discussion. They also stopped doing a major part of what I did for the company. My goal is to get laid off and start my own company and draw unemployment.( yea I know that this isn't right in some peoples eyes but they owe me something) What if they fire me for refusing to be on call? Can I still draw unemployment?

PS.. After 20 years all I got for 20 years of service was the same thing someone with 1 year of service gets.( Generic card signed by no one and $20 gift certificate to a restaurant we don't like )
The CHRISTMAS party cost the company $20 per employee.
TALK ABOUT CHEEP-- And to think I used to get a christmas bonus that equalled a weeks pay.

Dredgeking 12-15-2002 08:58 PM

Originally posted by cobra marty
And you will owe taxes on any amount you receive.
do not forget the taxes. i see guys forget that they have to pay taxes on unemplyment at the end of the year.

ChrisK 12-15-2002 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Tinkerboater

The CHRISTMAS party cost the company $20 per employee.
TALK ABOUT CHEEP-- And to think I used to get a christmas bonus that equalled a weeks pay.

you GOT a Christmas party? your lucky.. i got NOTHING!

Tinkerer 12-15-2002 09:33 PM

The thing is we used to have a great christmas party with lots of great gifts and no one left empty handed. That is all gone now and it has NOTHING to do with the economy since the building industry is going VERY strong here. The problems we are seeing are all due to very poor management. I used to own and run a small company so I do know something about management. 7 years ago this company had over 80 employees and was the biggest residential HVAC company in the area. Now we are down to I think 16 people and 8 of those are office personal. Little top heavy wouldn't you think.- DA-

Niuhi 12-15-2002 10:08 PM

Here in Washinton state I am currently eligable for 465 a week, and I made no where near 100k. It really depends on the area you live in.

As for extensions, check with your local unemployment center, I don't believe that all states will receive the extension. We are supposed to be getting it only because we have the second highest unemployment rate in the nation, sure sucks to be in this state right now.

Les

R Addiction 12-15-2002 10:16 PM

I'm recovering from last night's XMAS party!!!! :crazy: Me and the Captain had a Good old time! Hope I didn't say anything to the boss in my drunken stupor or I may be looking for a job tomorrow :eek:

1Boatnut 12-16-2002 07:11 AM

MnFastboat,here in Illinois it is a little less. I get $326.00 a week,but have no children. I believe you get another $50.00 for dependents..Plus you have to pay taxes on that money if you don't have them take it out..I have been off since April..I started to receive a extension,which I told I was eligable for.The catch is,no matter whats left in my fund,it ends at the end of the year..
Nice way to start off a New Year !!!