Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why? >

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Notices

cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Old 12-17-2002, 02:49 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

BOTH CUZ I AM ANAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ever use
www.boatcoversdirect.com

They dont have my boat listed but they have all the other ones listed, so mine has to be in that mix somewhere or im sure they can make one for it.
Any ideas?

I think 1200-1400 bones is a bit much for a cover dont you?
Then again if I bought my boat new, I would probably have 2 covers and a retractable stainless steel shell that collapses around it when I say the word AZZKICKER
so I hear you guys wanting to protect your investment

Jason
Old 12-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally posted by seanclong
Does anyone use their full cover throughout the winter? I've always shrink-wrapped. Could I get away with a one-time purchase of a good full cover instead?

Inquiring minds want to know....
Full cover this winter and all past winters (except for last, used cockpit cover then )
Old 12-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Cockpit covers are fine, but they will never offer the protection a full cover provides. I use a custom built and color matched full cover year round. It just makes sense to me. It keeps spider stuff and bird stuff off my boat along with sun and rain. I am in a covered slip at the marina. Mine is extremely heavy duty and I wish I had bought it years ago when I bought my boat. It was expensive ( about $1500.00 ) but worth every penny to me. Mine has a pull line around the hull just below the rub rail about six inches and I can get it extremely tight with the correct tie procedure. It never even considers blowing off. Mine also has five tabs down each side with grommets for attachment under the boat to each side. I also have six cutout slits for cleats and a velcro shorepower flap. My boat is 36 ft and I trailer frequently with the cover attached. I also have a cover that goes under the bow for trailering to keep road grime and rocks from damaging the hull. My boat lives on a 15,000 lb Polylift year round and looks like new. I attribute much of that new look to the cover.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Registered

Have both & use both. Boat looks better towing with snap on but full cover does a better job of protecting when towing.

I know the feeling of having boat at shop & shop has DGS attitude. After boat sat at trailer place for 5 weeks I had more water in boat that I had had in it the last 2 years I have owned it.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:07 PM
jb
Registered

I am surprised this is even debatable.
Outdoors storage requires a full cover to do it right/. Whatever time of day...the bow sees the sun.
Outside winter(god forbid) definately shrunk, but the sun still gets through. I have seen many a Baja fade through the wrap
Old 12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Registered

That sounds right.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Registered

Yep, both for us too. Keeps the boat nice and clean. I do not think it takes that much more time to put them both on.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Registered

Both. Found that the full cover just does not keep the dust out of the cockpit area that blows up from underneath. Plus, makes it faster to put on the full cover because it does not hang up on bolster tops....shifter stuff...etc.

Bob
Old 12-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay,
I have 2 covers. A cockpit cver and a full cover and use the like eveyone else. Cockpit over the weekend and full during the week. Only trouble is , the full cover is a pain in the ass to put on and remove on the trailer since the windshield is about 8'2" off the ground
On another note... a friend of mine had a two piece custom cover made. A normal cockpit cover that snaps to the windshield and a bow cover the covers...that's right , the bow and has double sided snaps that use the same windshield snaps as the cockpit cover... then the cockpit cover goes "overtop" the bow cover.
It's a 30' boat and the 2 pieces make it a whole lot easier to handle . Plus he also has an arch that has cut out for it in the cover with velcro to reseal it AND a separate wrap oround cover to cover his arch too.
All in all a quite impressive package

Quick Reply: cockpit cover or boat cover, which do you use and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.