Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Vortec engines in APBA OFFSHORE IN F-1 AND IN F-2 CLASSES WHAT DO YOU THINK?? >

Vortec engines in APBA OFFSHORE IN F-1 AND IN F-2 CLASSES WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Notices

Vortec engines in APBA OFFSHORE IN F-1 AND IN F-2 CLASSES WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Old 12-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I also participated in the Vortec lease program this season, and will offer these comments. This was a development year for GM and that is why the lease was so affordable. Next year, I also hope the price does not exceed $7500.00 or so or the HP525 that you can buy and OWN may not look so bad. I also had water restriction problems, and the motor went into limp home mode, but it got me 15 miles back from the race course in Daytona under my own power. The temp sensor should be adjusted to reflect a higher shut off point, remember, this was a development year and some things were on the conservative side. As far as support, there were always two spare motors in the Vortec trailer and plenty of parts (we rarley needed them). To me, the people involved made all the difference, all very supportive and concerning. Now, this isn't to say that GM did'nt get a hell of a value from all of us being involved in this development, and I hope they recognise that when they put a number on the lease price. I would certainly like to participate in a similar program again (although next year I will need two motors so I hope GM sees the benifits to the Racers commitment to this program. In closing, I also received theGM Durability award for putting the most over 3000rpm hours on my motor, and that along with the APBA prise monies, made this past year about as offordable as offshore racing can be, and we all know what a smart investment this type of motorsport is. HA HA! Ray.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Question Question for RacerRay

Out of curiosity, just how many 3000+ rpm hours were you able to put on that motor? Any idea what the 2nd and 3rd place numbers were? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:54 AM
overbored

good question just browsing

Old 12-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered

If I had to guess, I would say about 30hrs, testing and racing, starting with the St. Cloud race in March and ending with the Worlds in November. GM would not tell us the exact #, but I was told that the top three teams in total hours were within a couple of hours of one another.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Panther
The fastest way to the finish line is the shortest route. Person who is the lighest at the end of the race is probably the fastest. The person who knows where the CG is located can get the boat dialed in and and be able to trim at a neutral attack angle and have the highest speed.
Ok Panther I told you when I called this was coming. The fastest way around the course is NOT necessarily the shortest route. Without giving away all the secrets or going into a long discussion, just watch the way JT and Hugh run their lines. That should be all I need to say on that one. The lightest boat will have the most accelleration and will probably be faster in calm water. In the rough stuff it's a different story and this is were the CG will change. You're right, you should need to know where you CG needs to be for all types of conditions to achieve the speed you need to win.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gordo
Mike J.,
Mr V,
None taken, and I agree. But when you don't own the boat, you sometimes have to run what the boss says. I also agree about testing. Only problem is, on rare occasions, what looked good during testing may not seem so good with 12 or 20 other vultures on either side of you. As for the rest of your decription of the model test program, I'd like to think we're both pretty close to the same page. Even though I sometimes think I have everything covered, something will inevitably come back to bite me. I'll be the first to admit, I'm still learning.
Sounds like, for the most part, we'll agree to disagree about an engines ability to save itself. I won't argue that there may be a time when we are in first place on the last straight of the last lap of the last race of the World Championships with enough points to win all the marbles, and something shoots craps...
I would scream & cuss at the ECU, then get out and push.
Yup sometimes you gotta do what the boss says. Luckily the boss knew what needed to be done. More impressive was the awsome crew that was on the team. Not only did they spend the week before the race going over the boat, but they spent all day Sat, after testing on friday, rechecking every bolt, wire, hose, hose clamp, you name it on the boat and engines. I do me litterally they put a wrench on every bolt. Kept the boat running and safe. I owe everything to these guys.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Registered

Mr.V-"The fastest way around the course is NOT necessarily the shortest route"...right on! i'll leave it at that.

we're all about testing...people have many takes on testing. if you can not apply 100% what you learn during testing then it's wasted.

so far we have more time tied up in testing communication equipent that we spent prop testing for F2-80 last season...AND we're not done or totally happy yet....but we'll get there prior to the first green flag i asure you

lets all hope they have the rules COMPLETED by jan 1st like they said!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Joey,

Agreed. Best of luck with the winter testing. Do you guys have any plans to head south soon?
What are you doing on New Years?
Reindl
Old 12-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Ok Panther I told you when I called this was coming. The fastest way around the course is NOT necessarily the shortest route. Without giving away all the secrets or going into a long discussion, just watch the way JT and Hugh run their lines. That should be all I need to say on that one. The lightest boat will have the most accelleration and will probably be faster in calm water. In the rough stuff it's a different story and this is were the CG will change. You're right, you should need to know where you CG needs to be for all types of conditions to achieve the speed you need to win.
Mr_Velocity,

After talking to you today, you definetely pointed out a fact that I overlooked. After you said it, I was thinking duhh!!! You're right.

gotta know that CG though! Otherwise you may as well be pissing in the wind!

Later,

Panther
Old 12-20-2002, 06:28 PM
overbored

WHERE IS T2X??

Quick Reply: Vortec engines in APBA OFFSHORE IN F-1 AND IN F-2 CLASSES WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.