Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Vortec engines in APBA OFFSHORE IN F-1 AND IN F-2 CLASSES WHAT DO YOU THINK?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39155-vortec-engines-apba-offshore-f-1-f-2-classes-what-do-you-think.html)

WILDTHING TAZ 12-21-2002 09:20 AM

JUST TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW .I HERD FROM A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE THAT B-MAX WILL BE ON GM VORTEC ENGINE PACKAGES.I WILL HAVE A B-MAX BOOTH (BRAVO SHOP)IN CHICAGO & CLEVE. OUR COMPANY NAME IS JR MARINE.COME & SEE US. RON BENDER

overbored 12-22-2002 10:17 AM

THIS MONTOR SHOULD ALSO DO VERY WELL ON POKER RUN WATERS TOO!!

THEJOKER 12-22-2002 02:08 PM

you'll see..........

The Mercury 525 w/ the XR Bravo will be an unbeatable combination. Remember I picked Lance Henrichsen to win The Worlds. If Lance throttles the whole APBA Pro Series in that old Fountain - look out ! Just my .o2 worth - BH

overbored 12-22-2002 07:24 PM

I LOVE HOW THE VORTECS SOUND.

TYPHOON 12-23-2002 08:23 AM

Brian as if that was hard Lance to win!!! I will bet on Lance anytime if he's in a boat.
Randy:eek:

THEJOKER 12-23-2002 08:49 AM

yup.....HOW TO TURN A 80 MPH boat into a 90 MPH boat?

Randy:

Alot of people on the board do not know who LANCE HENRICHSEN is........well folks if he is in any boat , in any class - there is a damn good chance he will:

1. Win
2. Crash
3. Rip the drives off the boat

I raced with Lance and that guy can throttle a boat!

BH

T2x 12-23-2002 09:22 AM

Originally posted by overbored
OH T2X, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Let me begin by saying I'm a lifelong Mercury OUTBOARD guy....and have been an APBA member most of the years since 1963.

It's a question of long term commitment VS short term gain. APBA Offshore is currently wooing dollars,.......primarily for the organization and secondarily for the racer.........and there is nothing wrong with that of, and by, itself. In this regard, APBA entered into a contract with Mercury Marine as the "Official" blah blah blah approximately two years ago........ Now GM is offering more.

IF GM is a better product......and ....IF... GM will be around long enough to make this a viable power source for consistent AFFORDABLE classes in years to come..... then the Vortec plan is a good one.

IF....on the other hand.....this is a flash in the pan cash dump into APBA to get racers hooked on the products.....and a fishing expedition to see if GM can , in fact, become a marine supplier of power with a dealer network, service, ease of warranty etc....then I would adopt a "wait and see" attitude.

Mercury is not perfect...but they have been the longest running single supporter of boat racing in the U.S. and worldwide.....for over 60 years. They have been there, not only with marinized inboards, but with outboards as well. To my knowledge they have lived up to their current contract and commitments........
and make the stern drives that the Vortecs require to race.

I have been open about my general disagreement with allowing any sponsor to create class rules....especially when the profit goes into some LLC.....and this obviously goes against that grain as well.

The bottom line is that if this creates a competition between Mercury and GM wherein the individual racer benefits from engine subsidies, then it is a good thing. .......If this enslaves the sport to the "Very Big Corporation" ............it isn't.

T2x

THEJOKER 12-23-2002 09:32 AM

I agree.....

T2X:

Well said......and if GM Vortec was really 100% committed they would be doing their own marinization on the engines. Mercury builds the best product , period! BH

mr_velocity 12-23-2002 09:33 AM

As always, very well said!!!!