Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Should I get the prop's labbed?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39212-should-i-get-props-labbed.html)

Madcow 12-19-2002 08:12 PM

I labbed my quad 4s this summer. Got nothing on the top end, but picked up subtantaliy in the cruse dept.

Philip 12-19-2002 10:26 PM

Guys,
Just my .02 all Prop Lab's are certainly not the same. The whole concept is too bring the prop as perfectly into spec. as it can be, and then tuning the rake, pitch, and Dia. To get what you need out of set of props. Mercury developed these props, and they have the expertise to turn out a stellar product. I have never broken a prop blade, except by striking something. Mercury Lab is the best. Dennis Cavanaugh will never steer you wrong.

Philip

Philip 12-19-2002 10:35 PM

Sangercat,

You have one of the 32' Sangers that have the Skater bottom? right. Can you post a Pic. of the boat? or a link to a Pic. I would love to see it. I had a 30' Sanger. Ran Choppers on that boat. It loved the bow lift of the choppers. My 32' Skater runs best with 3 blade Cleavers of course. I tried choppers, 4 blade cleavers, most every prop, and the 3 blade cleavers are the best. what are the specs on your boat? engines, drives props etc. Peter discussed the Jack Davidson boat last year at Skaterfest. When my boat was built in fresno, I went there and stayed for 10 days, went to the Factory and hung out with Jack while the boat was being laid up. lots of fun.

HOUSTONPROP 12-20-2002 12:25 AM

DENNIS IS ONE OF THE BEST AND SO IS Darin!!!!!!!!!!

Panther 12-21-2002 02:46 PM

Dennis steared me away from a 4 bladded prob becuase of the tendency to lift the stern. He said they don't work very well with a TRS and a non-airated (stepped) bottom.

I can attest to this because I was involved in setting up a 42 Fountain a few years ago. Everyone was saying that the hydromotives, or the bravo ones will run the best on that boat. Yes they run great on a fountain with steps, but not to well with a regular bottom. With the hydro's the cruise speed was about 60mph, with a top end of 81. With the Mirage Plus the cruise was 55mph, but top end was 86.

Bluethunder,
The bravos are worth a lot in top end speed at least 5 mph or more. First is the loss of weight with the Bravo. you don't have a transmission, or a really heavy drive setup. Next the center of gravity is shifted farther rearward because the engines are farther back. It seems that the Panthers with TRS's were not balanced all that well from what I am hearing lately.

Panther 12-21-2002 02:49 PM

also the loss of propshaft horsepower turning the trans and the drive.

blue thunder 12-21-2002 03:58 PM

If I recall, bravo consume ~ 30hp, trs about 50hp. That would be about 1 mile an hour. The rest of the trs inefficiency must be in the center of gravity issue which is requiring props with bow lift. You have the in the mirage. Next move for me would be to figure out how to move the cg back some... not sure what the opportunities are for that, but things like batteries and stowing extra things toward the rear come to mind.

I'd like to see a picture of your panther sometime. Don't tell anyone, but I am getting my wife a digital camera for Christamas so maybe I can reciprocate. Hope she likes that as well as the new boat upholstrey I got her last year :D :D :D

BT :cool:

Panther 12-21-2002 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bluethunder,

Here is a pic from a few years ago, before I replaced the upholstry and re-painted the boat.

I have another picture in the 2002 NYC poker run section here on the board.

Panther 12-21-2002 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a more recent pic.

blue thunder 12-21-2002 05:46 PM

Love your panther!! Is it a 1987? I'll look for the other pics. I'll put some up as soon as Santa Claus arrives. Mine is mostly white with blue stripes. Do you ever make it to the Chesepeake Bay?

BT :cool: