If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania

Winter Storage - Trailer Tires???

Does anyone lift the trailer to get the trailer tires off the ground for winter storage? Or is it OK to leave the weight on the tires all winter? My boat is in an unheated garage. I've always lifted the trailer, removed the tires and lubed down all the brake components(not the disc pads) , pack bearings. Haven't done this yet this year and thinking of not doing it.... My rig is about 6000lbs.

Anyone noticed any problems with tires after having it parked in one spot for 6 months?? I'm thinking it's not a problem, just thought I'd check to be sure......

Toxic FORMULA Platinum Member mopower's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1989 Formula SR-1 272 t/540's
    pitman nj
    I store mine outside (shrink wrapped). It's parked on grass in my back yard and in the spring the ground has taken the shape of the tires , since I do blow them up to max. I also cover them to protect them from UV rays. Had one set that were all cracked after two years , tha's when I started covering them and it HAS made a difference
    I do my bearings EVERY year at winterization to get any moisture out. Learned my lesson the hard way. One year I said ,"well,things look ok,I'll skip it this year". The following spring I lost a wheel . Thank God it was only coming up a ramp at two mph and not the highway . Ever since , after I do the engines and drives and I know it's not getting submerged again , I do the bearings. Oh , also spray all the running gear with WD4.If I were parked on concrete I would prbably lift the tires or remove them to avoid flat spots
    You can never have too much horsepower or money...It's just hard to have both.