Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hustler,Scarab,Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39432-hustler-scarab-formula.html)

32storm 12-23-2002 10:06 AM

I own a Hustler and my previous boat was a Formula. First in your 155K range-there is a lot out there to choose from.

In terms of the Hustler, they are a well made boat with a vacuum bagged hull. I do not have a Slingshot, I have a 32 with the traditional v-hull. But, like the 388, the 32 was suppose to have handling problems at high speeds. My experience is that it handles fine at high speeds. Owners of 388's I have spoke to have not complained about the handling. It may just depend on who's behind the wheel. In terms of rough water, I run mine in rough water. i didn't buy a boat like this to sit at the dock as it's a short season. As far as poor resale, if you are looking at a 388 that's a few years old, someone else will have already taken a nice hit on the resale value. The rigging on the Hustler is top notch. As far as fit and finish, i think the Hustler has some areas that could use improvement. Especially, when you look at the price tag.

As far as Formula, my experience is that they are built like a tank. Heavy, not the fastest-It's more of a Mercedes vs Ferrari type ride. The finish & fit is top-notch. The Formula is more wife friendly in terms of how it is dressed out. However, i found some areas of the Formula also could use a little improvement. The financing deal on the new Formula's certainly will impact the resale market. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Formula.

In terms of the Scarab, I was not impressed with both their construction and rigging. For example,I thought that the wiring on a Scarab wasn't even close to the Formula or Hustler.

I would stick to either the Formula or Hustler. But,they are two different animals.

blown1500 12-23-2002 10:51 AM

The 32 is nothing like the 388 at all!!
as far as 388 owners saying they like their boat s not many would say i hate my boat or it rattles and hunts and shakes,remember misery likes company !!!!!!!!!!
as I said I hate slaming boats but its a fact .the hull has to much lift to go over 90 and be stable so you've got to rework the bottom .
The factory's favorite saying is its the guy behind the wheel ,bull%&*%,there can't be that many bad drivers in the world .

go in the rough in one watch the deck flex and listen to the boat rattle,look at the wiring ect. this is not due to the drivers

please be warned like others said in this thread

Ron P 12-23-2002 11:20 AM

I've been on two different 388s in the ocean for an extended run. I was more than impressed with the way the boat handled the rough water. It was very fast, very stable and flew level every time. I will tell you that I wasn't driving. Call Chip Fendt at the Hustler factory for the story about hunting and bottom changes.

The only boat I would shy away from would be the 36 Apache. I was not impressed at all with that boat in rough water. I banged and slammed on every wave. Maybe it was the driver.

32storm 12-23-2002 11:32 AM

I agree that the 32 is not like a 388 in terms of bottom design & obviously length. But, my point was simply that the 32 was suppose to have a handling problem at high speeds. Not the case. My experience relates to my experiences and observation with ride and build quality of Hustler. I would put the quality of the wiring in my Hustler up against any in the market. No deck flex and no rattles. If Hustler build so poorly, why doesn't this ever get brought up in the reviews. The worse thing usually mentioned is the rub rail could be strighter, or something minor like that.
To say misery loves company is BS. There are aspects of ride quality and handling that are very subjective.It would be ignorant to say that the driver doesn't factor in. Especially when you talk high speed driving & handling. But, i believe for every ass there is a seat. if you don't think there are that many bad drivers, just sit by a gas dock and watch how many guys out there can't even dock the boat. but, all you need is a fat checkbook.The best thing is for someone to drive it and try it.I won't say the Hustler is for everyone. But, you need to try it yourself and then decide.

blown1500 12-23-2002 01:24 PM

Good old factory answers ! sure there some bad drivers but not that many ,as I've said I've worked on 7 388's and ridden in all of them and took a long trip in a borrowed 388 down the inland water way so I've got plenty of seat time !go to national marine and look at the 388 with number 5 drives the deck has bubble type places in it and the bottom is bad and this is just one ,man facts are facts ....They wander and hunt at fast cruise speed ,they rattle ,and Power Boat did say things about the hustler talon ,,,,,hey this is not just my view look at the other post !!!!
your lucky to only have the 32 it is most likly fine ,but misery does like company ,period

its not just my opoion ,try to get a fla. broker to sell one or take one in trade ,,I rest my case

I started this to voice the facts not argue ,or start anything ,this is all I'm saying on this as the facts stand for themselves just look at the quality of the boat deck ,ect.

premiums 12-23-2002 01:34 PM

If you want a boat you do not have to drive and steer then do not get a Hustler. My boat feels loose in rough water but you need to drive it at speeds higher than 83 mph. I wanted a fast boat that still took some skill to drive in rough water.

blown1500 12-23-2002 04:53 PM

yOU gOT iT :D :D :D

Strip Poker 388 12-28-2002 03:51 PM

l

1 Attachment(s)
i have a budy that wanting to sell his 95 38 scarab.pm me if intrest.

wildthing357 12-28-2002 04:07 PM

I tought Scarab was done after next year? Formula is a great riding boat just on the slow side unless you have some good power. I personaly have a 93 357 and love the boat.

rpm 12-28-2002 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spend another 30k and be really happy!

Rod