Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What 's the best free music download site? >

What 's the best free music download site?

Notices

What 's the best free music download site?

Old 12-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cgarrett
Ok, I'm scared to download and use Kazza.
I recently read in a newspaper of how you are opening up your computer for others to pretty much have their way with it. Before the fall of Napster I had used their site a few times without a problem. (or at least I hope so)

Now my wife comes home the other day and is telling me about how one of the Dentists sons begged him to download a movie from Kazza on his new computer. This guy wouldn't even open up email from people he didn't know but caved in to his kid.

The computer crashed and he lost everything. I guess it was called "Black 8 Ball" or something to that effect.

You guys know more about this stuff then I could ever dream of but it's things like this that make me cringe.

Cordell
Just be careful. I use Zone Alarm which is a firewall to block unwanted access to my computer. With Kazaa, you do not have to share files. Therfore, there will be nobody accessing you computer.

Mike
Old 12-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it during the registation process that you chose what files you want to share or can you change it at anytime.

I don't keep much personal information on the pc but I have used a credit card a few times to pay for items so I worry about that being available. I can also access my bank statements online but have to log in each time and type the username and password. It says it is a secure server and has the yellow lock at the bottom of the screen. Do I have anything to worry about as far as someone being able to access any of this information.

I'm running norton antivirus and personal firewall and I also have the ad-aware.

Viper 340, Sorry for jumping on your thread.

Thanks for the info.
Cordell
Old 12-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Okay, I'm using Kaaza. I like it pretty well. I am set to NOT share any files (not because I am greedy, just leery of the hackers).

Here's my question: I know I can use Windows Media Player to burn the Mp3's as CD Audio. What should I use to first "set" the volume of each Mp3 file to be fairly consistent?

My kid burned himself a CD and the songs are all from different sources and are at different volumes.

I have a registered SoundForge copy at work but haven't messed with it to see if it will do this.

Before I do so, is there a better program out there to select mp3's, equalize the volume levels, and burn them as CD audio?
Old 12-23-2002, 07:25 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I work in the IT field and I use kazza lite,
I use a good Virus program that you can scan all your downloads with and use either NT old,win2000 or XP pro the security is better with these,And you can prevent users from getting into your Non -shared folders , Windows is always updating files and the "backdoors" that hackers have found so keeping your system updated is important.
I have a router in my home network and I only have one machine that I use for downloading . I also shutdown Kazza lite when not using it .
Old 12-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Tom
Registered

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Before I do so, is there a better program out there to select mp3's, equalize the volume levels, and burn them as CD audio?
Its called Apple Computer OS X. In case you decide to go all the way and make movies too check this out http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1772771
Old 12-24-2002, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Tom,

None of my 23 PC's will run the monstrosity of which you speak (OS X). Seems that I would have to buy one of those white nightstand lamps with the flatscreen sticking up out of it to do so.

While I might have considered a Mac as a home computer before, after the "I'm a dumb@$$" ads they have been running I'll never be caught dead with one. I hear, though, that the ads are generating lots of sales. Makes one wonder...

I have two friends who are professional musicians. They are both Mac guys. ProTools on a Mac is amazing, indeed.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:17 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I use kazaa lite with a black ice firewall and norton anti virus and always shut down kazaa and my internet connection when not in use.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Cgarrett
Is it during the registation process that you chose what files you want to share or can you change it at anytime.

I don't keep much personal information on the pc but I have used a credit card a few times to pay for items so I worry about that being available. I can also access my bank statements online but have to log in each time and type the username and password. It says it is a secure server and has the yellow lock at the bottom of the screen. Do I have anything to worry about as far as someone being able to access any of this information.

I'm running norton antivirus and personal firewall and I also have the ad-aware.

Viper 340, Sorry for jumping on your thread.

Thanks for the info.
Cordell
I've been amazed at the things I've seen in my life time. I've seen servers exploited within minutes. THere are people without lives out there using their talents the wrong way. I just recently was shown WINMX, and you have to share things or they yank you. It's not legal, there are some people with some different ethics involved, so I'd gather to say nothing is safe. If they can pull one file from your machine, they'll be able to do more. Who wrote the software? In what language? It's a few changes to some source and I bet you're an open target. I'm no expert, but amazed at the things people can figure out.

It's for this reason, I do things the old fashioned way, I buy a CD on line or in the store. It's only $15 or so people. Sheesh. $200,000+/- boats and you're hocking free music and movies. Ironic.

Mark
Old 12-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to the days when it was simple to download some free music???????
Old 12-24-2002, 10:41 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're gone Jon.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.