Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duct Tape.....how have you used it to make a repair, etc...marine or otherwise. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39543-duct-tape-how-have-you-used-make-repair-etc-marine-otherwise.html)

Boatshopping 12-24-2002 08:40 AM

While driving all night to Summit Point for a SCCA race we had a U-joint in the motor home go bad. All the needle bearings were toast. We got the duct tape out of the race trailer and started taping up the joint and the shaft like you would a swivel for a socket set. We couldn't go real fast, 30-35 mph. And when we saw sparks we would stop and dose the joint with some motor oil. But it got us there in the middle of the night. Replaced it the next day in the day light.

John

GO4BROKE 12-24-2002 09:10 AM

it keeps the plexi glass in the broken window at my camp.

Wally 12-24-2002 09:13 AM

I got thrown off my snowmobile two years ago at 60mph on a trail....landed hands first and ripped my plam open from just below the middle of the palm to the wrist. Didnt know how bad it was till after we got back on the sleds and stopped at the next junction......a few napkins....ducktape to hold it all together and a 45 min ride back to the hotel to pack up, we hit the hospital......surgeon was laughing at me for useing ducktape! He said "Now i've seen it all" :D :D 13 stitches later i was ou tthe door and contemplating on continuing riding again! I mean come on...we were only there for 8hrs so far and i didnt get much riding in! :D They all talked me out of it and we drove home... :(

DJD 12-24-2002 09:20 AM

I use it on my wife occasionally when she acts up;)

Waterfoul 12-24-2002 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
A friend's 42 Fountain busted the beak off a couple summers ago spraying water everywhere. I threw him the life line (duct tape) and we patched it up with that.

:D
:crazy:

WOW!!!! Reggie should put a roll in every boat then!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

KAAMA 12-24-2002 10:20 AM

Duct tape...

Apparently, one of our country's airliners thinks it's good enough in using it to seal up holes in the wings of some of their aircraft. That is until the aircraft regulatory commision found out about it and said UNH-UH!--------NO WAY!

Panther 12-24-2002 10:34 AM

Sister had an 77' Delta 98. Used it to repair the fenders, tried it on the exhaust once and it worked for about 30 seconds. It was 30 seconds of slinence.

We proceeded to put (Team Duct Tape) written in Duct Tape on the rear quarter panels. Everyone knew that car!!!

Avengerangel 12-24-2002 10:38 AM

About 2 months ago my husband was in the hospital having back surgery and I was holding down the fort at our concrete business. One of our trucks sprung a pin hole leak in the water tank. It was at the exact height of a driverside window on most cars. Needless to say our truck driver got his fair share of finger gestures that day. When he got back to the shop I grabbed my hubbies trusty roll of duct tape and repaired the water tank. It held until the new one came in. When I went to the hospital that night that story brought a much needed smile to my husbands face. I was so proud of myself. :D

Iggy 12-24-2002 11:03 AM

My Dad's neighbor had an old (and I mean old) Piper Cub, he used it to cover small holes in the fabric covered wings and tail. He took me up for a ride and every piece was still attached when we landed.

jafo 12-24-2002 11:10 AM

Re: Duct tape...

Originally posted by KAAMA
Apparently, one of our country's airliners thinks it's good enough in using it to seal up holes in the wings of some of their aircraft. That is until the aircraft regulatory commision found out about it and said UNH-UH!--------NO WAY!

Mark,
You don't even want to know what we use that stuff for around aircraft!:eek: :D
(just kidding of course);)