If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados, Superboat Y2k and 24OS (sold)
    LaPlata, MD, USA

Tie Wraps, next best thing to duct tape

OK, we all know how useful duct tape can be. But what about tie wraps? I don't leave the dock without them! This year they came in handy on two occasions.

1. Silent choice will not stay open. Two tie wraps later I'm up and running.

2. The bolt that you tighten the power steering pump belt tension broke off. I secured it with tie wraps and ran hard the rest of the day.

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven
    Use em all the time!!! Hold wiring up out of the way, hold hoses out of the way of pulley's (if you don't have the pre-molded water hoses, you have to make do), and may other uses. Love em. Just wish I was the one who invented them. That and Velcro!! LOL!!
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

My Boats:
    1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    My neighbor says the next best thing to duct tape is Vice Grips. We took his prop off and to stop it from spinning we used vice grips then fixed the dents and scratches with th duct tape.

Were doomed! Charter Member Wally's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Chris Craft Stinger 222
    Chicago, IL
    Man i should own stock in tie-wraps!!! Back in the jetski days i had a bolt shear off that held the carb inplace....was about to call it a day......went to the tool box, got some silicone and tie-wraps.....1/2 hour later we have a carb held together and a running engine!! Just call me MacGyver! LOL!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Grove City, Ohio

I use em

I tie the ole lady to the bed with them, then when she can't get away, I video tape her, and that way it leaves your boat ropes in the boat where they need to be.

My Boats:
    Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
    Bell Canyon, CA

Re: I use em

Originally posted by SpectreBoy
    I tie the ole lady to the bed with them, then when she can't get away, I video tape her, and that way it leaves your boat ropes in the boat where they need to be.

You should use the fur covered tie wraps (not on the boat though).

My Boats:
    1949 Chris-Craft
    Orlando, FL
    Used tie raps to fix friends throttle cable. That was a few years ago. I'll bet they are still there and working fine.

Merry Christmas

Deland, Florida
    I have five boat trailers and one tag I use for them all. I use the zippy ties to put the tags on. Easy on and easy off with no rusted bolts.

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    I buy then 10,000 at a time. I average about 1000-1500 per job easy. They allow for you to have a MUCH neater wire job. They are also great if you have say a hose clamp break or anything like that. They WILL hold a hose in place if you have good ones. The best ones have the metal tab in them. You can get them from Home Depot for a ok price of $45 per thousand with the stainless tab, 19 per thousand for the plastic tab. That is about the best deal that I have found for a quality tab that is not "wholesale"

Put your best foot forward!

Charter Member #1055/Moderator Charter Member GO4BROKE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 386
    I  Voted
    I used a zip tie to hold the star on top of the Christmas tree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast