Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Lifts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39590-boat-lifts.html)

SpectreBoy 12-24-2002 08:24 PM

eee

1 Attachment(s)
eee

Keith 12-24-2002 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not familiar with a cantilevered left, or elevator lift, but the most popular here on the bay is a 2 motor lift like this one. On average you can get a 12k for about $5000 or less, plus $180 - $250 per piling. The basic motor and setup is identical on the 10K and up models but the cables are different. Prices you quoted just seem very high to me, shop it around or build your own. Grainger has the motors, welders can do the rest. Consider installing 2 if you have room, renting the other to pay for them both. :D

Keith 12-24-2002 09:25 PM

Nice setup Spectre. I like the roof too. No more boathouses or structures like that here anymore, unless you buy a property with one already grandfathered in.

mr_velocity 12-24-2002 10:00 PM

Considering that most people load up the boat while it's still on the lift I'd shy away from building your own. If you have a failure and someone get's hurt you've got a problem. Also, some manufacturers like Hi-Tide have a 1,000,000 liability policy that covers your boat in the event of a failure. I've spoken to someone that overloaded their lift and the motor let the one side of the lift spin down. It only crushed the outriggers on the one side but the company paid the repair without a court struggle. Talk about service. I'm no longer a dealer or affiliated with the company in any way. I also couldn't count how many phone calls I have gotten from people that used cheap companies and were begging for me to come service their crappy lift. My reply to all was "The only thing I can do is replace it." That's about all they deserved after telling me "well company ZZ will do the same size lift for $2000 less." Just remember how much money you have hanging there, if it falls the cost will be a lot more then you would have spent on the lift.

BTW Hi-Tide builds them to over 120,000 lbs. Largest lift I installed was 40,000 lbs.

Here is a shot of a 120,000 lift. Check out the two guys sitting on the beam near the top of the pic. Now this thing is MASSIVE.

http://www.hi-tide.com/images/Rolift120-1.jpg

Panther 12-24-2002 10:16 PM

Show them the picture of Navesink

Keith 12-25-2002 06:24 AM

OMG Mr. Velocity!!! :WOW: I didn't see the guys until you pointed it out, that is simply incredible.

You offer up some very good advice and more options. I discovered a widespread disparity in pricing for the same lift, identical in brand. Not unlike other products and services we all research as consumers, we find there are companies competing for business and willing to install for less than others.

Great example for me last year was my full sunbrella material cover (on the boat above pic). Prices started at $2000, some wanted as much as $2400. Atlantic Canvas did that cover for $1500, saving me considerable dollars. Best advice for FatDaddy, "shop it around" after you decide on the type of lift, brand, etc.

mr_velocity 12-25-2002 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Panther
Show them the picture of Navesink
I'll have to dig it out and scan it. It's been a while and a few more lifts have been installed there since the picture was taken.

For those that really want the untimate, Myco is making cradles for lifts now. They are the best.

Also, when you talk to a lift dealer make sure he understands how a boat is to be supported. Even most lift manufacturers don't understand this. The first time I lift a particular boat, brand and size, I always called the manufacturer to see how the bunks should be set. One thing that was universal is the transom must be supported by the bunks. Next time out on the water look how many are not supported correctly. The boat will develop a hook if not supported properly. Also most want the bunks to be under the lifting strakes so I always custom ordered the bunks square cut instead of the angle most put on them. Chocks, don't use them!!!!!

mcollinstn 12-25-2002 10:27 AM

I'm freshwater and use tank lifts (Hydro-hoist). I like them fine.

The lifts you guys are using are just the coolest. You got the right idea for sure.

fatdaddy 12-25-2002 01:05 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. !st, I can't go w/ a 4 post b/c I only have 50 ft. on the lagoon and it may make getting in real difficult, so it appears that I have to go w/ the cantalever.
SpectreBoy, that's good advice, however, that project may be too much for me and quite frankly, it is probably more cost effect for me to have someone do the whole project.
Mr. Velocity, I would appreciate any dealer info. you can forward as well as the who to avoid list.

Tonto 12-25-2002 05:20 PM

I don't know if this would be appropriate for your area, but I use a Hydro-Hoist verticle lift. The dock is a floater and I have 40' under it. The verticle lift lets me back the boat into the slip. Like Mr_Velocity said, MYCO is building cradles for lifts and bought one 'cause I didn't like the way the bunks were on the Hydro-Hoist. MYCO's cradle mirrors their trailers and it lifts the boat centered every time and have 10X's the support of the standard bunks. Good luck, it sounds as though you have some guys giving you real good advice :D .

Robert