Are we asleep at the wheel?

Notices

Are we asleep at the wheel?

Old 12-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we asleep at the wheel?

I don't know what the deal is with the Jersey proposed speed limits...

From what I hear - very few people in the industry, even locally are taking this seriously. I have heard too many "it will never happens" to feel comfortable. The most prominant guys I see out there is the NJPPC and few others who are actually involved in a boating business. Posts and "attaboys" on OSO don't count. The meeting on Jan 8th is very important and will set the stage. Hey, where are you manufacturers, sell enough boats in FLA, well let's hope so because Bayliner sales are gonna spike in the NorthEast.

Businesses will close and boats will not be sold in Jersey if this thing passes. From what I gather, the opposition, as uninformed as they are, outnumber us.

I have it from a source that a major decision maker who is in the posisiton to make decisons in this matter have made the quote "you powerboaters are asleep at the wheel"... "you don't realize what is about to happen". - And he favors our side!

Oh, buy the way, check out what's happening in Florida...
Old 12-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Allan4

WOW...good luck up there, hope people step up to the plate. What a nightmare that would be!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys need as many Ron P's and yourselves on this as you can get. Good luck with it.

They said that Hand gun laws that would only allow the owner of the gun to shoot (smart guns) would never pass either. ONLY NJ just passed that law to require the manufacturer of "smart" guns. Well what do you think is going to happen when that DOES NOT work!!!!! The tecnology is BOGUS and what if some one wants to barrow my gun to try it or go shooting!!!! Anyhow the point is NEVER SAY NEVER. Just as there are more people that do not own guns or understand them, there are more poeple that do not own offshore power boats or understand them.

Jon
Old 12-25-2002, 08:39 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Jersey is the proverbial "police state". Nothing against law enforcement at all, but policing is a big business in New Jersey. I have traveled extensively, both in the US and out and we certainly rank up close to No. 1. I beleive in law enforcement, not issuing summons to pay for a police force.

Example, not one bit of evidence has been rpovided to show that speed kills on the water. Education and licensing will have an impact, not running down people doing over 30mph.