Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT - HDTV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39650-ot-hdtv.html)

Audiofn 12-27-2002 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Clay Washington
Thanks for all of the info, guys. :cool:

Right now I am still leaning toward the Hughes HIRD-E86 from Best Buy. It is only $500. Here is the Satellite Dish that goes with it for $100.

Since my TV does NOT have the DVI input, I do not want to get a unit (Sony, Zenith, or RCA) that has it. I would just be paying for something that I couldn't use. :(

Clay some you bring up a good point with the DVI output that I forgot to mention. The DVI output is going to be VERY important to you EVEN IF you TV does not have it. Some channels will require you to go out the DVI output and into another box (*******s). The other thing that the DVI output will be used for is recording. So if you ever want to record HDTV then the DVI output is going be be something you WILL WANT.

Jon

Audiofn 12-27-2002 05:28 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Audio-

Is the optical audio connection a digital or analog signal?

Here is a good "from the horses mouth" description on the DTV transition. I believe that there is also a new agreement on the format about 2 months ago that standardized this so that it makes sense now to have the HDTV "converter" as part of the TV.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

Phantom the Optical cable is Digital.

Jon

PhantomChaos 12-27-2002 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Audiofn
Phantom the Optical cable is Digital.

Jon

So.....why is the coax better? The coax is analog, right?

Clay Washington 12-27-2002 05:36 PM

Recording Dolby Digital Audio

Originally posted by Audiofn
Clay some you bring up a good point with the DVI output that I forgot to mention. The DVI output is going to be VERY important to you EVEN IF you TV does not have it. Some channels will require you to go out the DVI output and into another box (*******s). The other thing that the DVI output will be used for is recording. So if you ever want to record HDTV then the DVI output is going be be something you WILL WANT.

Jon

What about recording Dolby Digital audio. If the DVI is video only, and if the box only has one (optical) Dolby Digital Output, how will you record the sound?

HyperBaja 12-27-2002 07:41 PM

Audio- You know the cheapest place to find Descrambler boxes? (You gotta hate us saying the "cheapest" :D)

mcollinstn 12-27-2002 07:41 PM

Phantom,

No, the coax AND optical Dolby audio connections are both digital, else there would be six of them. Don't think of the coax in the same sense as a TV antenna, think of it in the same sense as an ethernet coax or DTV coax. Digital.

PhantomChaos 12-27-2002 08:13 PM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Phantom,

No, the coax AND optical Dolby audio connections are both digital, else there would be six of them. Don't think of the coax in the same sense as a TV antenna, think of it in the same sense as an ethernet coax or DTV coax. Digital.

Okay..........I have not seen the single "coax" for audio 5.1, but only the optical port. If the coax is digital too, then there would be no difference between using either one or the other.

Clay Washington 12-27-2002 08:31 PM

PC,

Let's assume (for the moment) that optical and coax are the "same". The key to a home entertainment system is to look at it as an interdependent set of components.

Before you buy an audio receiver, you need to know how many "sources" it will need to handle and what type of "sources". The same goes for the TV.

I have a Harman Kardon receiver that has 1 optical input and 1 coax input. Most of the HDTV "boxes" only have an optical output, so I needed to buy a DVD player that had a coax output.

Since I was going to have two "component video sources" (HDTV and progressive scan DVD), I needed to buy a TV that had two component video inputs.

I can go on and on, but my point is to design your entire system on paper before you go out and start spending thousands of dollars.

I have everything in place EXCEPT the HDTV "box". That's why I started this thread. I would like to get one that will work for me for the next three to four years. I will use an set of "rabbit ears" and a low-definition Direct TV feed (for now). Later, I will add the satellite dish when more programming is available.

PhantomChaos 12-27-2002 08:53 PM

Clay-

If they are both digital, they function the same and have the same performance. You would need to have a BERT (Bit Error Rate Tester) to tell the performance difference.

My Mitsubishi Diamond 65” is two years old, and so is the HDTV RCA DTC100 satellite receiver box that I use for Direct-TV. I don’t have an antenna because I have a hill nearby that blocks the broadcasters. Within the next year, you will see more and more TV’s with the HDTV receiver built-in because normal NTSC broadcasting will be terminated by 2006-2007 since the format has been standardized now. It will all be HDTV.

The Sony V555ES (I know, Jon hates them) has multiple (4) optical inputs (TV/SAT, Optical CD, MiniDisk/DAT, DVD/LaserDisk) and one optical output (MiniDisk/DAT), so I chose to use the optical where I could.

The new Mitsubishi stuff also has the FireWire inputs.

Audiofn 12-28-2002 04:30 PM

Nort it is not that I hate them I just think there is better out there for the money :p :p :p Oh well in a couple years when you are ready to upgrade we will talk :D:D Anyhow I am fairly sure that your 555 has the Coax input as well. Should be either a black or orange color's jack. It looks just like a RCA input just uses either orange or black to differentiate itself from all the rest.

Jon